PDA

View Full Version : Biting the hand that feeds you.

Snaz
12-01-2008, 06:25 AM
I have read similar posts of reefer's clownfish nipping them when they put their hands in the tank but my little perc is a piranha! I swear I can feel the teeth on this one inch monster and it makes me jump so high each time!

If I peer down from above he practically jumps out to bite me! His little clown face comes right out of the water in a frenzy to nip my nose. Little Nemo is quickly becoming Little Diablo in my eyes.
http://snaz.com/clown_teeth.jpg

kellehar
12-01-2008, 06:27 AM
I feel your pain im going through the same thing with a true perc.

ElGuappo
12-01-2008, 06:39 AM
mine have never bit me. even when they knock over their torch and i have to get it upright again. guess im lucky.

truperc
12-01-2008, 07:00 AM
I had a tomato clown that drew blood. I could not quite belive it myself.

Doug
12-01-2008, 12:51 PM
:lol:. Great pic. My male, sent out by the female will bite my hand. Its not bad though. A friends male perc is nasty and has taken a hunk out of both myself and him.

My former Cinnamon,s would go for the skin between my fingers and hold on.

Sheez, nemo,s my #@&%. :lol: They can be nasty fish if they want.

Black Phantom
12-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Glad I'm not the only one with a "clowndevil" fish :twised:. And they look so cute and cuddly just swimming there. Until I put my hand in the tank. In my case they are defending a Zenia that they are hosting. I finally had to buy the full length gloves so I could work in the tank.

Phanman
12-01-2008, 02:47 PM
My little black occ is also a vicious little sob, but I love him. He bit me 3 times last night while mounting corals and only stopped when I put a fish net in the tank while I was working. Once the fish net goes in, he hides in the corner, lol.

Marlin65
12-01-2008, 03:56 PM
LOL nice picture. Mine does the same thing I can't even get my hand close to the tank without her charging.

AaronG
12-01-2008, 04:01 PM
mines the same way, even 3ft away from his "house" he will bite hard(plastic tongs go ting). So in goes the net and then i can do some work. Its more scary than my lion fish.

Leah
12-01-2008, 04:20 PM
:cry:I had a cute little tomato clown and that thing attacked everything I put into the tank including a prized brown tang. It chewed it to threads. I have run into it in town here it is in this tank and I do laugh when I see it. I sure wasn't laughing when it turned into a tiny jaws.

Boomboy
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
am i the only one without a vicious clown. ive had a few nips that didnt hurt but only because they were hungry and thought my finger might be food, other than that, they never attack me or anything. i did love the picture at the begginging though, its like "jaws 5 attack of the nemo."

mike31154
12-01-2008, 05:20 PM
My female maroon could be considered more tolerant than the average maroon I suppose. It varies though, some days she's more aggressive than others. She's bit my hand only a few times and not enough to draw blood, but she's getting pretty big, so it may only be a matter of time. I have to be getting pretty close to her GBTA before she gets overly nasty. My blue devil damselfish gives me more grief with attacks than the female maroon. He thinks he owns the whole tank and will go after my hand almost anywhere. Lately I've been setting a set of tongs in the tank too when I'm working in there, it seems to make the fish back off and allows me to work more or less in peace.

Marlin65
12-01-2008, 05:21 PM
I think they need to lay a set of eggs first.
I have three pair and only the ones that have laid eggs are bitting me.

fdiddy
12-01-2008, 07:50 PM
lol lucky its only your percs. my maroon is a bugger! and she's big... lol i use the net trick too :P

Trigger Man
12-01-2008, 09:13 PM
I've been lucky, my true perc (over 2 inches) has always been relaxed when I put my hand in the tank. Now my buddy on the other hand has the issue of his farmed clowns (just little 1 inch guys) attacking both his hand and the net when he puts either one in the water