PDA

View Full Version : What to do ?

Buccaneer
05-07-2003, 02:01 AM
If you are getting a frag today ... what would you do to it ? ...

Flatworm exit ? - just in case
Iodine dip ? - just in case
epsom salt dip ? - just in case

What does everybody think ?

Cheers

StirCrazy
05-07-2003, 02:26 AM
RO water dip unless you suspect the little bugs.

then I would probably do a fresh water dip and then into a new container of tank water.. then I would do a iodine dip.. but then again some call me paranoid :lol:

Steve

AJ_77
05-07-2003, 03:31 AM
What type of frag/what size/where from?

could influence the advice you get...

StirCrazy
05-07-2003, 03:57 AM
What type of frag/what size/where from?

could influence the advice you get...

I don;t know about that.. I don;t feel it should be a factor either..

I have gotten coral frags and large mother corals from various sources and not one has gone into my tank with out a dip. granted a couple I had to use a large bucket to be able to dip them, but I would rather be safe than sorry. Also I have never lost a coral that was dipped, so I don't feel this is a factor either.

Steve

Buccaneer
05-07-2003, 05:37 AM
The reason I am asking is that I dont want to get any " unwanted " guests on my corals and " red bugs & flat worms " seems to be a hot topic of late.

So since I am leaning toward doing dips for newcomers ... are there any other recommendations as far as what to use ? Also if you dip a frag/mother colony would you put it in the display right away or would you QT it for awhile to be sure ?

Cheers

Aquattro
05-07-2003, 06:01 AM
I'd like to point out also, that visual inspection goes a long way. Place your new frag in a white bowl and swish it around. If there are flatworms on it, you'll most likely see them floating around. Then dip in epsom salt. If you see red bugs (acro only), then dip in iodine. I'm not sure there is a fool proof plan, however QT never hurts.