PDA

View Full Version : Red Coris Wrasse - Anyone kept one in a reef?

Carmen
11-30-2008, 06:31 PM
What a beautiful fish! I would love to try one but am wondering if anyone has had one in a reef tank and what their experiences have been with inverts, corals, other wrasses?
The other problem is I have a Yellow coris wrasse in there already - My guess is 2 coris' is a no-no? Any way to catch him now???

Trigger Man
11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
I've had one in my reef for a while, it is now around 5 inches and it has not harmed any inverts or my solar wrasse. The one problem I do have is if I don't feed him in the morning he will sometimes nip a bit at my zoas, but as long as I make sure he gets a little food in the morning and then again at night I have no problems. I've also got a friend that has one (2.5 inch) in his nano with no problems.

justinl
11-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Is the "yellow coris wrasse" Halichoeres chrysus? if so, it is not a coris and should be fine with Coris gaimard.

While it is coral safe, I am not sure if it would be alright in your set up. 72g is a bit on the low side, I would say minimum 100g for a full grown specimen. Might beat up on smaller less dominant fish. will likely eat smaller invertebrates like shrimp and crabs. big jumper, canopy/tank lid is a must.

edit: for the record though, it's a beautiful fish and one of my personal favourites

Carmen
11-30-2008, 07:12 PM
Is the "yellow coris wrasse" Halichoeres chrysus? if so, it is not a coris and should be fine with Coris gaimard.

This is what I have: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1379+2113&pcatid=2113
Halichoeres chrysus - true coris or not? Even this is not a true "reef-safe" fish, but a neat little guy that has thus far left my inverts alone.

justinl
11-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Coris is a genus. H. tripsilus and H. chrysus both fall under genus Halichoeres, so therefore no, neither are coris wrasses; "yellow coris wrasse" is a misnomer.

the liveaquaria page you linked to has misidentified that wrasse. the picture shown is of Halichoeres leucoxanthus, another small Halichoeres wrasse. either way, H. trispilus and leucoxanthus both reach a maximum of 9cm. At a max size of 40cm, Coris gaimard will be a much greater threat to your inverts.

Carmen
11-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Thanks guys. Anyone else have any experience with these guys?

24storm
12-01-2008, 12:13 AM
I have one in my tank. I agree with keeping them well fed. I have seen it go after snails and it ate 2 baby clams i had. I have a larger clam and it leaves that one alone. Mine is about 4 inch and just starting to change into its adult colors. Make sure you have a sand bed they need sand to hide and sleep.

Keith

robzilla
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
i had an adult one, about 5-6 inches long. liked to bury himself in the sand. these fish had great appetites. i added a few blue legged crabs, and i believe this guy had them for lunch.