PDA

View Full Version : Sick Hippo - What is this? Not a parasite

phillybean
11-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Its weird, you see how it almost looks round, but there is a chunk that looks normal? That's where her fin goes when it is pointing up. Her fin on that side looks a little damaged as well.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i158/phillybean/sickhippo.jpg

Der_Iron_Chef
11-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Looks like maybe she scraped against the rocks? Mine had a scar from an encounter with a fairly sturdy chunk of live rock :)

phillybean
11-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Hmm might be. This just happened today though. Could it be infected?

todd516
11-28-2008, 12:47 AM
I think the same as Der Iron Chef. Mine gets little things like that every once in a while, too. They go away after a day. They try to get through the spots they really shouldn't--and scrape their color a bit. Should be fine by tomorrow if that's it.

fishytime
11-28-2008, 01:26 AM
They also wedge themselves in the rocks when they sleep so could be scraped or bruised. If it spreads, thats another matter.

DanG
11-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I think the same as Der Iron Chef. Mine gets little things like that every once in a while, too. They go away after a day. They try to get through the spots they really shouldn't--and scrape their color a bit. Should be fine by tomorrow if that's it.

I'm so hapy to read this, I have one in my 70 that's a bit bigger than a toonie and he keeps trying to go visit the shrimp and usually gets stuck about half way...

naesco
11-29-2008, 03:31 AM
Feed her garlic soaked food as it has anti fungal properties as a preventative.
And remember although she is a tang this species needs mysis as well as nori.

phillybean
11-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for all the replies everyone.

She looked better yesterday, the marking was still there, but has healed a lot. She isn't breathing as quickly as what she was and is eating more aggressive than she was before as well.

Every second day I soak Brine and large Mysis with Cyclopeeze and fresh garlic, which gets fed to the tank. On the days I don't do this, I just feed a cube of Mysis. The hippo won't eat Nori! I've tried sheets on PVC, tied to a rock, mag float and shredded and put in the tank. She goes crazy over Formula 2 Flakes though.