PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm Exit

zulu_principle
05-06-2003, 02:18 AM
I aquired a few corals that had flatworms and put them into my coral quarantine tank last week.

During the week I noticed that the flatworm population was increasing and decieded to do an experiment with flatworm exit.

The system:

65 gallons
40 Watts of Lighting
60#'s of LR
Eheim Filter
No sandbed

The initial dose consisted of 60 drops of flatworm exit on Sunday Morning, it says to watch after 30 minutes or when these start to die off to add carbon to your filter.

Added carbon and never thought much more of it.

This morning I could not see any flatworms in the tank, on previous observation the flatworms were easily seen.

Corals which include leathers and some acros are out, although the leather polyps are not fully extended

Did a 10 Gallon water change.

Im happy with what I see thus far and will update my results should they change.

Wendell

smokinreefer
05-06-2003, 03:03 AM
hmmm...
from what i have read on the product, i am pretty convinced it will kill the flatworms as you have found.
and it seems like a great product to have on hand, especially for you, or anyone else who has a quarantine system.

but my main concern, is when it is used in a full blown reef environment, and you're dealing with all the microfauna on/in the live rock and sandbed.

to what degree will the existing microfauna populations be affected, if they are at all. and can we curb the effects with aggressive use of carbon and waterchanges following the treatment.

fortunately, *knocks on wood* my flatworm problem is mild at best and is not severe enough for me to warrant the use of the product.