PDA

View Full Version : Star on Acro

zulu_principle
05-06-2003, 12:56 AM
Doesn't seem to be stopping the polyps from extending.

Should I get rid of him ?

http://www.oceanaquatics.com/images/star_onacro.jpg

Aquattro
05-06-2003, 01:03 AM
can't help but think that's bad!!!

StirCrazy
05-06-2003, 01:12 AM
take him off and see if there is dammage under him.. almost seams like he could be eating a coralite..

Steve

christyf5
05-06-2003, 01:20 AM
Wow that is cool. What are you going to do with it if you take it off the acro??

I was just doing some reading in my invert book. They didn't have that particular brittle star in it but the majority of ones that were in there are detritus (ok Bob I'll just say it, "crap eaters":razz:) eaters or scavengers. One species could catch small fish. I didn't see anything about harming corals. Not to say that they don't :rolleyes:

Christy :)

zulu_principle
05-06-2003, 01:57 AM
Well he does move about the coral from branch to branch, and from the coral I can see no ill effects from where he has been and where he is going.

Ill do a little more reading and post on reefcentral.

Wendell

One_Divided
05-06-2003, 02:10 AM
That thing is damn cool! I hope it's not doing any damage..

smokinreefer
05-06-2003, 02:43 AM
hey wendell,
finally got a pic of that eh!
i think it is intriguing to say the least.
if you cant get any info on it either way, and decide to get rid of it, let me know...i wouldnt mind trying it out on some stag branches.

stephane
05-06-2003, 04:24 AM
I have a big one 3 inch who live in one of my acropora for more than one years I buy the coral with it. the star never get out of the coral and I realy dont know waht she eat but definitivaly not my acro cause he grow like hell

Delphinus
05-06-2003, 04:30 PM
It looks like your garden-variety brittle star ... ? :question: Or, I should say, it looks just like the thousands upon thousands of the little ones that I have in my setups. They don't seem to harm anything (the ones that I have) except that they will seek out any nook and cranny and that does include the SPS. You should see all the little arms that come out of nowhere out my M.cap when I feed the tank (not to mention all of the rockwork, and the powerheads, and etc.) In fact I seem to regularly have to pry them out of the pH probe, which is about the only thing about them I find kind of annoying.

I thought everyone had these. :confused: No? Mine just hitch-hiked in on rock ...

Or are my eyes just deceiving me and this one is different from those?

Van down by the river
05-07-2003, 12:01 PM
No worries Wendell, keep him
Or ....ah...actually he's quite devastating! yah that's it, I'll do you a favor by taking him off your hands :biggrin: