PDA

View Full Version : Purple/red turf algae

parkinsn
11-26-2008, 09:18 PM
Other than a sea hare are there any fish, crabs, snails that will eat this stuff? I have been told that a fox face will not eat it and my tangs won't touch it. Anybody have experiance with this?

noirsphynx
11-26-2008, 09:22 PM
The Blue Tuxedo Urchin is supposed to eat it.

Reefer Rob
11-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Fought with that stuff for years. Urchins will keep it mowed down to some extent. I finally beat it with a combination of reduced nutrient input, macro algae in my refugium, and aggressive use of GFO. Over the span of about 2 weeks it turned white and died, along with the Chaeto in my fuge. I have a red Gracilaria that took over in my fuge, and seems to like the low nutrient level in my system.

Chaloupa
11-26-2008, 10:20 PM
both of my Rabbitfish eat it...thankfully, as I had a HUGE problem! It was just a regular Siganus Virgatus......works good!

xtreme
11-26-2008, 10:49 PM
The Blue Tuxedo Urchin is supposed to eat it.

I have a couple urchins that need a new home if you are interested. LMK.

parkinsn
11-26-2008, 11:36 PM
Thanks xtreme for the offer but i was trying to avoid urchins as well, i had some bad experience's with my urchins picking up my corals and zoa's and dropping them in hard to reach places (hence why you have them now lol). I bet they thought they looked really good with my stuff on them lol. Thanks for the input guys. Rabbit fish eh.....

don.ald
11-27-2008, 02:08 AM
what type of rabbit fish and how big ?

Chaloupa
11-27-2008, 02:26 AM
It's a Siganus Virgatus, the only rabbit I have found that will touch the stuff....I put rock in the tank with him and he cleans it off. When/if it grows back I put it in again for him to clean off...my other 2 that I have had don't touch it, however both of these that I own will mow it down....but they do get big...not too quickly though.

Here's an image..it's not mine...but the same...also called a Double Bar Rabbitfish

http://www.recif-france.com/Database/images/Siganus%20virgatus.jpg

skylord
11-27-2008, 04:39 AM
My scribbled rabbit (Siganus doliatus)also eats it. He eats everything including bubble algae.

Scott