PDA

View Full Version : Herbie overflow users

jasond
11-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Just wondering if you have any troubles with your siphon break clogging with your herbie overflows? Mine tends to get clogged up fairly quickly making me a little nervous...just wondering if there is a better alternative than unblocking/cleaning all the time.

Cheers

Chin_Lee
11-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Jasond
if you make sure you have secondary/emergency standpipe, i never had any problems with it. I do have to occasionaly open it up a 360 and then closing it again. it helps to write in numbers on the gate valve like a face of a clock so I know how much to unturn and turn back.

StirCrazy
11-26-2008, 04:05 AM
any good info on the herbie set up? I am thinking of doing this one the new system.

Steve

mark
11-26-2008, 04:16 AM
Can't understand why a Herbie would effect a siphon break. For siphon break you are meaning a small hole in the return line from the pump back to the display?

fkshiu
11-26-2008, 04:18 AM
Just wondering if you have any troubles with your siphon break clogging with your herbie overflows? Mine tends to get clogged up fairly quickly making me a little nervous...just wondering if there is a better alternative than unblocking/cleaning all the time.

Cheers

I don't really understand what you mean by a "siphon break" clogging. There is no siphon on a herbie - it's purely gravity driven. Do you mean the gate valve on your primary drain is clogging? If not, where exactly is the clog occurring?

Chin is right: make sure you have a second emergency drain ready.

jasond
11-26-2008, 04:24 AM
Jasond
if you make sure you have secondary/emergency standpipe, i never had any problems with it. I do have to occasionaly open it up a 360 and then closing it again. it helps to write in numbers on the gate valve like a face of a clock so I know how much to unturn and turn back.

I do have an emergency standpipe, but the siphon break is to prevent water from going back to the sump through the return (back through the pump) if the pump were to lose power...otherwise a siphon is created from the tank to the sump. That make sense?

Stircrazy...lots of good info on here about the Herbie overflow, as well as reefcentral. Albert used to be the guy to speak with, not sure if he is still around or not...

jasond
11-26-2008, 04:26 AM
Can't understand why a Herbie would effect a siphon break. For siphon break you are meaning a small hole in the return line from the pump back to the display?

Yes, thanks Mark, that is exactly what I mean. I have a small hole/line running from the return into the emergency overflow, this is what is getting clogged.

untamed
11-26-2008, 04:56 AM
Yes, thanks Mark, that is exactly what I mean. I have a small hole/line running from the return into the emergency overflow, this is what is getting clogged.

I don't understand why the emergency overflow drain seems to be involved with the return line. Maybe a photo?

jasond
11-26-2008, 04:59 AM
I don't understand why the emergency overflow drain seems to be involved with the return line. Maybe a photo?

It is not involved, that is just where I have stuck the line. Agreed a photo will help, I will try to get one up tomorrow.

superduperwesman
11-26-2008, 05:09 AM
You can't have the return higher in the tank so once the water level lowers the siphon will naturally break??

brizzo
11-26-2008, 06:01 AM
any good info on the herbie set up? I am thinking of doing this one the new system.

Steve

Consider this for your new setup :biggrin:

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

Uses a herbie style drain (syphon), with a caflo or coast-to-coast overflow. Surface skimming to the max. phillybean sent this to me

StirCrazy
11-26-2008, 12:30 PM
thanks, just what I needed.

Steve

Slick Fork
11-27-2008, 12:02 AM
I'm still not sure how the siphon break and herbie are connected?

If the question is are there other ways to avoid siphoning the main tank into the sump then you're stuck with either a very shallow return, multiple siphon break holes, or a check valve.

Chin_Lee
11-27-2008, 01:29 AM
if its the small hole thats is getting clogged there are several quick options:
1) just drill another hole
2) drill a bigger hole
3) drill another 2 holes
4) drill another 3 holes
i think you get the point.
And there seems to be some confusion on connecting a herbie to this small hole on your return...... they shouldn't really affect each other. If it is, please elaborate thanks
chin

Chin_Lee
11-27-2008, 01:30 AM
thanks, just what I needed.

Steve
steve this method makes the overflow dead quiet. Once you've had Herbie, you will never go back!

fishytime
11-27-2008, 01:33 AM
You could plumb in a true union check valve in the return line.

JDigital
11-27-2008, 01:39 AM

+1

That's the first thing I thought of...

Chin_Lee
11-27-2008, 01:41 AM
I've yet to find a reliable check valve for saltwater use. the buildup of detritus and calcium carbonate always causes the check valves to fail over long term. Holes near the water line of the return is much more reliable especially if you get a stick and poke through the holes every 4-6 months.

brizzo
11-27-2008, 01:46 AM

Check out the "Wye check valve" on Bulk Reef Supply. Their video shows it as being a superior design, and easier to maintenance.

mark
11-27-2008, 02:21 AM
Check valves fail, siphon holes plug but a big sump can't go wrong.

Boomboy
11-27-2008, 02:43 AM
understand how it works but dont understand how to plumb it was wondering still about pictures of it to make more sense thanks.

fishytime
11-27-2008, 02:53 AM
understand how it works but dont understand how to plumb it was wondering still about pictures of it to make more sense thanks.

Here you go.http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=40669 First couple pages. Let me know if you need more detailed pics.

jasond
11-27-2008, 03:53 AM
I've yet to find a reliable check valve for saltwater use. the buildup of detritus and calcium carbonate always causes the check valves to fail over long term. Holes near the water line of the return is much more reliable especially if you get a stick and poke through the holes every 4-6 months.

This is exactly what I do, but more often than every 4-6 months, probably once a month. I use a coat hanger which works pretty well. Since adding the filter sock though, it may get clogged less, but something more permanent would be nice. A larger sump isnt an option at this point :sad:

Either way these are excellent overflows for those thinking of using one. I have had many comments on how quiet it is, and I am fairly confident in the case of a clog/powerfailure.

fishytime
11-27-2008, 04:22 AM

That is why I have a true union check valve:wink:. I plan to swap it out for a new one and see if a good soak in vinegar will clean up the crud on the old one. If not a few bucks every few months isnt to much to invest for peace of mind.