PDA

View Full Version : Salt creep at bottom

Orion
05-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi,

I'm kind of new to the board and reefing and am hoping that this is the right forum for this question.

I have just filled my 55 gallon with saltwater and there is a small area on the front at the bottom(about 3-4'' long) where i am getting salt creep.It is not a great amount but it is still there. As this is at the bottom of the tank i'm assuming that there is a small leak somewhere. The question is how concerned should I be about this and if it should be fixed how would i go about doing it? Has anyone experienced this? I am thinking to give it a few days to see if it gets better or worse.

Thanks, Brian

Aquattro
05-05-2003, 06:12 PM
Brian, it isn't going to get better, and when worse happens, I wouldn't want to be standing in front of the tank! First, check all around the top to make sure it isn't running over the top edge and drying at the bottom. If it is leaking at the bottom, you need to empty the tank and fix it. You can remove and reinstall the pane of glass yourself if your comfortable doing so, or take it to your favorite LFS to have repaired.

Bob I
05-05-2003, 07:12 PM
I am thinking it probably on the side of the tank this is occurring, because you can usually not see the bottom. I agree with Brad if on the side it is probably water that has run over the side during the filling process, and has evaporated leaving the salt residue. I would clean it up with fresh water, and see what happens. It is something I have seen a lot, but it was never a leak. :eek:

Orion
05-05-2003, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I am going to wait a few days and see whether or not it keeps happening before i add anything. I'm hoping it's just salt that has gotten in behind the trim during the moving process and/or when filling the tank.

Brian

Doug
05-05-2003, 10:42 PM
I have seen spill water do this on the tanks with the black brace trim. I assume thats what you have and this may be the case, but as Brad says, watch it close to make sure.