PDA

View Full Version : ident Algae how to treat?

banditpowdercoat
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
OK, Like the title says. WHat is this brown stringy like algae and how do I get rid of it? I allways Use RO/DI water. But my DI I think us old. I need a refillable canister.
Thx in advance
http://banditpowdercoat.com/Powdergallery/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10002/algae.jpg

Myka
11-24-2008, 10:15 PM
Heavy diatoms looks like. Read the Guide in my signature. Works for most algaes.

banditpowdercoat
11-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Hmm. Is there a test one can get/do for the source water? I make 35G at a time of RO. and its about 10ppm on my meter. 400-700 out of tap. Were on well water..

We have been feeding less and less. My Zoo's have been thriving though. So there is excess nutrients. Cant find all my snails, But they like to go into the sand.

Im going away tomorrow for 3 weeks. Wife is home, but I go out to work. I have 30G of SW made here, I'll do a LARGE change, and try to siphon as much as possible

Myka
11-24-2008, 10:41 PM
You can go to most drinking water supply stores and have your water tested, but it's not cheap!!! I think they start around $70. You would be best off adding more stages to your RO/DI like adding a second RO membrane, and possibly a second DI. Use your TDS meter to check the water that comes out of your RO before it goes into the DI. If you have more than 20 ppm going into the DI you're burning that DI out, and should definately add a second RO membrane. The water you add to your tank should be 0 ppm tds, or at the very most 2 ppm. How many GPD is your unit? Some of the faster ones are less efficient.

banditpowdercoat
11-24-2008, 11:36 PM
It's a 50GPD unit. membrane hasn't been changed in a while too.

I just did a 15g change. checked notrates and Phosphates of change water, both were 0. running sump into a double filter sock for now. ALOT of fillament flaoties in the water. I brushed off the rock, siphoned as much as I could but still plowing off rocks once tank settles. Also, when I siphined the sand, there was black and brown hairs in the sand? Like a shag carpet, just below the surface of the sand. I bet that's not good HUH?? Assuming it's poop? I dont have much for sand sifters, but didnt want a bare bottom. maybe i should rethink that??

Myka
11-24-2008, 11:46 PM
Ooops double post.

Myka
11-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Ya, get that RO sorted out so that you're getting less than 2 ppm tds.

Get some sand sifters for your sand. An Orange Lip Conch or a Fighting Conch would be a good choice for a 45g tank. Sounds like trapped sulphurous areas in the sandbed. You can fix it by stirring the sand yourself, but only do a 2x2x2" patch each day. Release too much in one go and you'll poison your tank. The black patches will stink too.

You definately have excess nutrients in the tank, so take a good look at what's going in there.

banditpowdercoat
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
OK Will Do.

Also, what would cause the Xenia's to shrivel, and not be active? Im taking it they are a sign of someting bad. They havn't extended and done thir thing in a week

Skimmerking
11-25-2008, 12:21 AM
actually Myka No you want to leave the Sand bed alone, let the critters do the sand bed cleaning. IMO and IME sort out the RO unit yes that is a great idea. check to see what youTDS of yoru water coming out of yoru tap. it could be that the city may have been using some kind of chemicals in thewater that bloom algae's.
If your DI is old get it changed out too.
since you have a somewhat small tank you could get a phosban reactor ad nrun ROWA phos to destroy the Phos, in your tank. what type of a skimmer are you using?

banditpowdercoat
11-25-2008, 12:57 AM
actually Myka No you want to leave the Sand bed alone, let the critters do the sand bed cleaning. IMO and IME sort out the RO unit yes that is a great idea. check to see what youTDS of yoru water coming out of yoru tap. it could be that the city may have been using some kind of chemicals in thewater that bloom algae's.
If your DI is old get it changed out too.
since you have a somewhat small tank you could get a phosban reactor ad nrun ROWA phos to destroy the Phos, in your tank. what type of a skimmer are you using?

Not city water, It's a comunity well system. NO added chemicals though, that I know

I have a Phosban, but pout of Rowa at the moment. Little strapped for cash, but will get some soon

Water
Tap 345ppm

out of RO 9ppm

So I guess I need a membrane and a refillable DI canister. And the fluch connetors for the RO, and fload switches for the storage units, and some sand sifters, and................LMAO it never ends huh

Myka
11-25-2008, 01:58 AM
actually Myka No you want to leave the Sand bed alone, let the critters do the sand bed cleaning.

That would be your opinion. That's not a cut and dry matter, it's preference and opinion. I stir my sandbed on every waterchange, but only the top 3/4" or so. I have done it since day one on this tank, so I don't have to worry about releasing a buildup of gases because there isn't any. :)