PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater and Hardwood floors

plutoniumJoe
11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
I had a bit of a problem last night. I woke to the sound of a child pulling tape out of reel quickly every 20 seconds. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from until I saw the jet of air entering my tank. I went to open the sump and felt the water seep into my socks. The return portion of the sumb was almost dry. I installed a Herbie last night, not sure if it is related but my protien skimmer overflowed my ps overflow(1 litre jar). The skimate which was very clear spilled all over the carpet which has hard wood underneath. After trying to clean up as much as I could before my wife woke up. Looking at the floor there is some damage (I am sure not all from last night). The nail holes are blackened and the joints look a bit darker and spread. Is this salvageable and will things continue to deteriorate? What do others do to protect their floors.

Phanman
11-24-2008, 08:19 PM
I lined the inside of my stand with vinyl flooring so it doesnt get to the hardwood. Also put vinyl under the stand just in case.

plutoniumJoe
11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks John, That is a good idea. Next water change I will drain my sump and put vinyl under.

Phanman
11-24-2008, 10:06 PM
np, just make sure the ends curl up so you have a bowl effect.

Underwater
11-25-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm in the same situation as plutoniumJoe. I have a section of my hw floor that has been damaged by sw. The joints are blackened and swollen. Is this salvageable, and if so, how? The floor has been dry for quite sometime, but what is the next step to fixing this?

I'm not sure if this is considered hijacking a thread, but if it is-my apologies. Just let me know and I'll start a new one.

Thanks a bunch!
Michelle