PDA

View Full Version : Frog spawn questions

cwickham
11-23-2008, 06:36 AM
Hey everyone, i got a frog spawn about a month ago, maybe a bit longer. Im trying to figure out if its healthy or not for its tentacles to be fully extended most of the time. the one side of it stays allot tighter, and the other side just expands like crazy.

is that normal? i think my flow is slightly less on the part that is expanding.

it seems to be healthy, one of the heads split since i got it.

thanks
craig

Der_Iron_Chef
11-23-2008, 06:48 AM
There you have it. Flow. The retracted part obviously doesn't like the higher flow. Adjust flow, or move the coral to a place where there's less flow, and you'll see a change.

cwickham
11-24-2008, 02:34 AM
There you have it. Flow. The retracted part obviously doesn't like the higher flow. Adjust flow, or move the coral to a place where there's less flow, and you'll see a change.

hmm, i agree.. but the part that is retracted is still not completly retracted, it looks nice, i wish the whole thing looked like that.. hahahaha the part that is extending is extending soo far that it looks clear. is that what its supposed to be?

thanks
craig

cwickham
11-25-2008, 01:35 AM
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m444/craigwickham/IMG_0806.jpg

http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m444/craigwickham/IMG_0804.jpg

Does that look healthy.. is that wat its supposed to do?
sorry for the dumb questions

i have crabs
11-25-2008, 02:17 AM
looks like its producing alot of sweeper tentacles, i think its usally from too much flow but im no expert on them

Myka
11-25-2008, 02:17 AM
The extended part is over extended. It's possibly waging war on something, but sometimes it's from too much flow. What other corals do you have in the tank? Which corals are within 10" of your Frogspawn?

cwickham
11-25-2008, 03:28 AM
only thing i have near it is my green brain, which the tenticles usualy r aimed at, haha and a pip organ... Would it be waging war on those?

Myka
11-25-2008, 05:52 AM
only thing i have near it is my green brain, which the tenticles usualy r aimed at, haha and a pip organ... Would it be waging war on those?

I don't have much first hand experience with Pipe Organs (although I would really really like to get one when i can find a nice one!!), but Brain Corals (all types) can be very aggressive. Is the brain putting out sweeper tentacles as well? How much space is between them when they are expanded the most? If you can move the Frogspawn into a lower flow area that should help, or adjust the powerhead so it isn't blowing on the Frog so much.

Doo
11-25-2008, 01:32 PM
hmmm - I am confused, mine retracts where there is high flow and extends in the low flow. I find if there is direct flow on it - it will retract right to the bone...

in high flow they are getting beat up by the current and from what I have seen, they suck the flesh right in to avoid damage - I assume???

Did I miss someting.

cwickham
11-25-2008, 03:33 PM
i agree, the parts that are extended are in lower flow then the parts that are not, but last night i came home and a small peice of the frogspawn had come off and was attached to the brain.. i think they are at war.. hahahaha.. this sucks cause my tank is not huge and i dont have tons of space to move stuff

thanks for the help

Whatigot
11-25-2008, 03:55 PM
hmmm - I am confused, mine retracts where there is high flow and extends in the low flow. I find if there is direct flow on it - it will retract right to the bone...

in high flow they are getting beat up by the current and from what I have seen, they suck the flesh right in to avoid damage - I assume???

Did I miss someting.

Nope, this has been my experience and I have 3 of these in my tank with various light and flow on them.

They HATE high flow, but the pics you have look like an outright attack and not flow related.
Something is raising that froggys ire and it actually looks quite happy other than being in attack mode.
Move the brain coral, see if that makes a difference.
Or, you can increase the flow on the side where you are getting the sweepers, that'll also do the trick.
Nice Chalk bass by the way, my favorite schoolers.

Myka
11-25-2008, 06:14 PM

Did I miss someting.

High flow and low flow is very relative to the person describing it. High flow to someone who keeps SPS is much stronger than someone who keeps softies. High "SPS type" flow would make a Euphyllia retract, and would make it recede if it's prolonged. If the flow is just a bit higher than the Euphyllia would prefer, then it "often" tends to send out sweepers. Brain corals and Galaxea corals do that as well. Put them in flow that is higher than they like, and it's sweeper central.

i agree, the parts that are extended are in lower flow then the parts that are not, but last night i came home and a small peice of the frogspawn had come off and was attached to the brain.. i think they are at war.. hahahaha.. this sucks cause my tank is not huge and i dont have tons of space to move stuff

thanks for the help

Definately not the flow then, they are at war. Put some space between them, and run some fresh carbon to help absorb the chemicals they are releasing into the water.

Whatigot
11-25-2008, 06:55 PM
High flow and low flow is very relative to the person describing it. High flow to someone who keeps SPS is much stronger than someone who keeps softies. High "SPS type" flow would make a Euphyllia retract, and would make it recede if it's prolonged. If the flow is just a bit higher than the Euphyllia would prefer, then it "often" tends to send out sweepers. Brain corals and Galaxea corals do that as well. Put them in flow that is higher than they like, and it's sweeper central.

Definately not the flow then, they are at war. Put some space between them, and run some fresh carbon to help absorb the chemicals they are releasing into the water.

well well well, the relativity of flow finally comes to the forefront of this conversation.
I love it when everyone is right.

Myka
11-25-2008, 07:09 PM
well well well, the relativity of flow finally comes to the forefront of this conversation.
I love it when everyone is right.

It's like someone's opinion on a skimmer, or lights, or, or, or. It's all relative to what they have tried before. If someone is saying a certain skimmer is "AWESOME!", but all they had before was a SeaClone, then their opinion isn't particularly usable. If someone has tried 8 or 10 skimmers of varying value, their opinion would be rather useful. Ya know?

Der_Iron_Chef
11-25-2008, 07:15 PM
No....my opinion is ALWAY right :mrgreen: