PDA

View Full Version : No foam under bottom?

Doug
11-22-2008, 11:56 PM
For those that dont read the journal forum I,m wondering about sitting my nano direct on its platform without foam. Makes it look crappy.

Its very smooth and level. Nano is built very solid, decent glass thickness. Figure it will weigh about 150 or so with water, or perhaps a bit more with the filtration compartment partially full.

Have a look here at the last couple pics. You can see how its sitting.
Thanks

http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46784

Black Phantom
11-23-2008, 12:19 AM
The foam certainly helps if your stand has a few bumps but if your dealing with a flat surface then you should be ok. My six year old 250 is just sitting on plywood and between the water, 300 lbs of live rock and 300+ lbs of sand I don't think that a bit of foam is going to do much.
Just my opinion of course :biggrin:

Slick Fork
11-23-2008, 01:57 AM
Does the trim raise the bottom glass off of the desk surface? If so, then I wouldn't put any foam under there. You could put even a slice of carpet underlay beneath it. It would be much less obtrusive and give you some "padding"

spreerider
11-23-2008, 02:00 AM
i have never used foam and neither has anyone i know, and i have never had a problem.

justinl
11-23-2008, 03:17 AM
I usually encourage people to use a foam underlay to deal with minor bumps you can't necessarily see with the naked eye, but for a 14g on a desk, just go for it. If it were a 140g, then that would be a much different story.

superduperwesman
11-23-2008, 05:42 AM
I'm sure it'll be fine

sphelps
11-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Yeah you don't need foam. For the most part, if your surface is level, you only need foam if the full bottom pane rests on the surface (no trim).

Doug
11-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Thanks guys.
It has no bottom trim. I,m guessing the black band you're looking at is the black silicone.

I have always done as suggested with my tanks over the years. Used foam under a custom made full glass bottom and none under a framed tank, like my 90g AGA.

So I would have used it in this situation but it just does not look good unless framed. Perhaps I could find some black foam. I,m in agreement with those that sya it small size should make it fine but perhaps thats just hoping it will be. :D

Its half full for leak testing at the moment and ok.

fishoholic
11-23-2008, 02:34 PM
I've never used foam with 30g and less tanks, however I definitely use foam under my 230g tanks.

Doug
11-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Ok, so after cleaning this morning, I used a 1/4in. piece of foam and black taped the edges for now. Will try find some black edging for it. Figured may as well be safe. Not a huge investment but dont need the bottom plate cracking and water going down my heater duct. :lol:

Thanks for the comments.

sphelps
11-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Some black rubber will work as well. You'll probably want something under there if it's not framed, I figured it was framed from the pictures.