PDA

View Full Version : How to frag pulsing Xenia

msteele
11-21-2008, 02:16 AM
I have a very healthy crop of pulsing Xenia that I'd like to part out. But, I don't know how to get it off my live rock or how to frag it.
Does anyone have any suggestions? It is attached to several larger pieces of my larger rocks so I don't really want the rock to go too.

Thanks for your suggestions.

fkshiu
11-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Grab a stalk by the base and peel it off. Job done.

fishytime
11-21-2008, 02:32 AM
First thing is to do any fraging outside of the tank. I usually do it right after a water change and keep a half bucket of so old water, in which to frag in. Its easy...just take a sharp x-acto or single edged razor blade and slice the xenia as close to the rock as you can. Put the cuttings into the bucket while you work on the rest. It will be slimy as heck and it smells...be wary. I use a toothpick (either in a Y between stalks of xenia or through the stalk itself about an 1/8 - 1/4 inch up the stalk) and elastic band the toothpick to a piece of lr rubble. Rinse both the mother colony and new frag off well in the bucket before you put them back in the tank. Give it a week or so and remove the elastic and toothpick (twist the toothpick out if you have impaled the xenia). Have fun:biggrin:

whatcaneyedo
11-21-2008, 02:35 AM
I prefer to cut it near the base with a razor blade. Then if you have room mount it to something like rock rubble lightly with an elastic band until it attaches on its own (should only take a weeks time or less).

Amante
11-21-2008, 08:39 AM
I just use scissors to cut the stalk that i want then take it out of the tank and slice it up with razor.

Don't ferget to wash everyhting with soap and water.

I prefer to cut it near the base with a razor blade. Then if you have room mount it to something like rock rubble lightly with an elastic band until it attaches on its own (should only take a weeks time or less).