PDA

View Full Version : New with salt water and need help

predatorfan
11-21-2008, 02:05 AM
I have had a 30gal. piranha tank for the past three years and I still think they are the best, now I am getting a 150gal. tank and would like to turn salty. The thing is i dont know what to do, I am looking at different places for live rock think I need about 100 pounds, would like to use a hang on the back filter and protien skimmer for overall filtration, I would like to start with a couple of snowflake morays in the tank so I am planning to bury some PVC tubing under the sand and rock for good hiding spots. I dont know anything about salt water though and would like to do as much research as I can before I get started about everything from mixing the salt, to checking the water quality on a regular basis. If anyone can give some advice it would be a great help thanks and hope to talk later.

Skimmerking
11-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Well if you are really wanting to get into this hobby READ, Read read understand what Salt Water is. read up on FOWLR , read lots to get the basic understanding of
Ammonia,
Nitrite,
Nitrates,

Look at different pictures on how you want to run your system,

Sump's,
Refugium's,
Remote DSB's
Read about Bio Balls,
DSB's,
Bare Bottoms.

read on what type of skimmer you want

Venturi,
Beckett,
INSump ,
External,
what type of lighting

MH,
T-5's
VHO's,
PC's
Normal Lighting

Skimmerking
11-21-2008, 02:33 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=51

read this too

Skimmerking
11-21-2008, 02:36 AM
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=22449

and read this

Oxymoron
11-21-2008, 08:17 PM
The reference section on this forum is an amazing source of information.
Start out with the "Just Starting Out" section and go from there.
Make sure you know exactly what you want to buy before purchasing otherwise you will find yourself upgrading and wasting money.

Black Phantom
11-21-2008, 08:44 PM
This is a great forum with tons of ideas. Like Oxy said, you want to get it right the first time. A good lesson is to not cheap out at first thinking you will upgrade later. You won't be happy and will end up spending twice as much money in the long run.
Thats not to say you have to buy the best.There are some great bargains to be had online and through this forum but do your homework. This hobby takes time.

Trigger Man
11-21-2008, 11:37 PM
Spend the money on a good skimmer, you'll be thankful later on.

WuHT
11-23-2008, 01:08 AM
luckily eels are pretty hardy.