PDA

View Full Version : LTA question

Bob I
05-04-2003, 05:21 PM
I have a LTA which is currently living in a 10 gallon tank with a small Tomato Clown. When expanded it measures six inches across the disk not counting tentacles. I would like to move it into my 50, which has two good sized Ocellaris Clowns. These guys currently live in a Conch shell. I am somewhat worried that these two clowns are a little too big, and rambunctious for the LTA. What are the thoughts of other LTA keepers :arrow: :question: :question:

robbyville
05-04-2003, 08:56 PM
You generally don't have to worry about the clowns being too rambunctious. Our anemone's simply close up when they don't want to be bothered.

although it might be a little too late, and you probably already know this, but the only issue is that anemones do generally need a mature tank with good lighting and current to thrive in. If you have that to offer don't worry about the hosting aspect of anemone and fish.

Best of luck,

Rob

Bob I
05-04-2003, 09:31 PM
You generally don't have to worry about the clowns being too rambunctious. Our anemone's simply close up when they don't want to be bothered.

although it might be a little too late, and you probably already know this, but the only issue is that anemones do generally need a mature tank with good lighting and current to thrive in. If you have that to offer don't worry about the hosting aspect of anemone and fish.

Best of luck,

Rob

I forgot to ask another question. The LTA has its foot attached to the bottom of the tank of course. How do I get it to let go so I can move it. :arrow: :question:

robbyville
05-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Well that's a little different!

I personally have never had to move our BTA, however my wife has once, and the advice that she (And the person I originally got it from) gives is to do it slowly and carefully. She put on a plastic glove (Like saran wrap) to avoid constant stinging, and very slowly pried it off using a stroking motion (Get your minds out of the gutter everyone) :lol:

According to the fellow I got the anemone from it took him almost an hour to get it off of it's rock.

At any rate, that's all I've got, hopefully someone with more experience can also help. Remember also to acclimatize the anemone to the new tank exactly as if it was a new tank inhabitant.

Good luck,

Rob

Bob I
05-04-2003, 11:11 PM
Well that's a little different!

I personally have never had to move our BTA, however my wife has once, and the advice that she (And the person I originally got it from) gives is to do it slowly and carefully.

Rob

Sage advice, however, mine is a LTA, which attaches to substrate, or in my case the tank bottom.
I was thinking of using a credit card, and slowly slide it under the foot.

I am not in a terrible hurry to move it, so I rearranged the tank to give it a clear 10 inch space to settle into is that is what it wants to do.

At least I don't have to worry about moving a rock. :rolleyes:

Quinn
05-05-2003, 03:29 AM
obviously i've never tried this, but i've heard of people either directing a powerhead at the foot of the anemone or squirting its foot with cold water. :neutral:

sumpfinfishe
05-05-2003, 04:53 AM
Hi Bob
I have kept anemones and clownfish for six years so I do have some experience that might help answer your questions.

If you want to move the LTA using a credit card you can do so, just be careful not to tear the base in any way-slow and gentle is the secret here. If you don't have the patients then you could always use a small powerhead to gently blow the base until it moves onto something placed behind it's foot such as a small piece of plexi glass or a bottom piece of icecream tub. I have used these materials in the past as it makes removing the foot much easier when introducing it into the new tank.

As for any problems with the two larger Perc's taking up in there new host.
I would see no problems with that what so ever. The only action that I think will probably happen is that the larger female will most likely keep the male at bay and not allow him into her new host. This is perfectly normal however and happens in nature, so it would be no reason for concern. The male would probably keep to the conch shell or it might even take up territory underneath the new host. When the LTA get's big enough, the female may even decide to let the male into the anemone with her.

From my expierence anyways :mrgreen: , cheers Rich

Delphinus
05-05-2003, 06:02 AM
I've read about using a hair/blow dryer on the glass making them want to let go. Never tried it though. For some reason, I don't have much use for a blow dryer at the best of times..

BTW Credit card should work though. I've used a plastic spackle knife once .. Like Rich said, steady and gentle is the key.

Bob I
05-05-2003, 08:01 PM
I am still afraid to try it. There is no real hurry, so I will extend an invitation to Tony to come by and help at his leisure. I think, however, it would be happier in a bigger tank. :confused: