PDA

View Full Version : ATO: JBJ vs Tunze Osmolator

JDigital
11-19-2008, 05:18 PM
Is there much of a performance difference to justify the extra $80 for the Tunze? I don't see anything on JL about getting a pump with the Tunze system.

TIA..

JDigital
11-19-2008, 06:02 PM
If you vote, give me a reason why please. :mrgreen:

Drock169
11-19-2008, 06:14 PM
you still have to buy a pump for either of the ATO systems. I have a JBJ and it works just fine.

jasond
11-19-2008, 06:15 PM
1 vote for the Tunze (it does come with a pump btw). I have not used the JBJ, but read quite a few positive reviews for the tunze, both here and on RC which was my decision maker. Only thing I dont like is the pump comes on often, so I am going to hook it up to my controller and alternate when it comes on, otherwise it's great (really it is just doing it's job so that is not a valid complaint :biggrin:)

mseepman
11-19-2008, 06:17 PM
I have the JBJ and have been really happy with it. Got it on E-bay for even cheaper than what we pay here to pricing was great too.

JDigital
11-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Is one system more accurate than the other? I see the Tunze uses a infra-red sensors, where the JBJ is Float Sensors..

jasond
11-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Tunze for sure :wink:

I would imagine they are the same, or very close. I bet my tunze kicks in once every 5 min give or take .

Hairytank
11-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I have a tunze and it is great! Easy to set up and yes it came with a pump.
The only downside is the price, but for the peace of mind it was worth it.

Jason McK
11-19-2008, 07:01 PM
I didn't vote because I've never used the JBJ. I Love the Tunze I've had it running for about 5 years and it's going stronge. Never replaced the pump. But I might have to soon

J

Stones
11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
I got a JBJ direct from them for fairly cheap. The unit itself works great. My only complaint was that I wasn't able to use it with the TOM aquilifter that I purchased specifically for top off.

The JBJ unit would trigger the aquilfter to come on and it would start to pump water, but for some reason the JBJ would "time out" and cut power to the pump even though the float sensor was still too low and giving the "pump on" signal to the head unit. Once the JBJ unit would do this once, it also would not be able to turn on again since the head unit thought that it was still pumping water, even though it was not. I spoke to another hobbyist who also had the exact same issue with his JBJ unit and an aquilifter pump.

In the end, both of us ended up using a small powerhead instead to deliver the water to the tank and it has worked great ever since.

JDigital
11-19-2008, 07:21 PM
I have a tunze and it is great! Easy to set up and yes it came with a pump.
The only downside is the price, but for the peace of mind it was worth it.

Price isn't to bad considering you get the pump.. I'd have to buy one for the JBJ..

str255
11-19-2008, 07:43 PM
ditto ...

I've had an osmo for 2+ years ... very happy with it.

I didn't vote because I've never used the JBJ. I Love the Tunze I've had it running for about 5 years and it's going stronge. Never replaced the pump. But I might have to soon

J

fkshiu
11-19-2008, 08:07 PM
I love my osmolator and wouldn't trade it for anything. I like the multiple fail-safes like the electronic eye backed-up by the overflow float valve, and also the ten-minute time limit on the pump. I was lucky enough to get it used so it didn't cost me all that much.

You can prevent it from popping on frequently if the chamber it sits in has more surface area since it would take more evaporation to affect the chamber's water level. The electronic eye is very sensitive!

JDigital
11-19-2008, 08:14 PM
I love my osmolator and wouldn't trade it for anything. I like the multiple fail-safes like the electronic eye backed-up by the overflow float valve, and also the ten-minute time limit on the pump. I was lucky enough to get it used so it didn't cost me all that much.

You can prevent it from popping on frequently if the chamber it sits in has more surface area since it would take more evaporation to affect the chamber's water level. The electronic eye is very sensitive!

I like those fail safes.. Especially that 10min time limit.. That might be what sways me over to the Tunze.

outtafocus
11-19-2008, 08:18 PM
I have had the tunze for 5 years and wouldn't trade it for anything. I love the optical sensor it won't foul like a float switch. The secondary float switch is a perfect for peace of mind. My pump called it quits a year or so ago but I just replaced it with a low voltage sump pump from princess auto which works perfect.

jasond
11-19-2008, 08:48 PM

Good idea, only problem with my set up is the sump is 4 compartments that are all the same size, nice thinking though. I didnt know about the ten minute timer, that's a bonus!

trilinearmipmap
11-19-2008, 08:59 PM
I have a Tunze osmolator, I am happy with it, there are a few issues to be aware of though.

One is the electronics are a little delicate, I fried one osmolator doing something innocent a few years ago - plugged in another item into the powerbar which made a spark and blew the circuit, everything else on that circuit was fine but the osmolator was shot.

A couple of times my unit has stopped working because the optical sensor head got covered with precipitated salt/calcium buildup. You are supposed to clean the optical sensor with vinegar every few months, make sure and do this before going away on vacation.

Overall it is a good unit, keep the level very well, worked well with a kalk reactor in series when I used to use a kalk reactor.

Pescador
11-19-2008, 10:07 PM
If you can handle a little fluctuation in your water level (up to an inch) I've been using the Tsunami AT1 for 7 years never had a problem. Actually never even clean it.
The SpectraPure version says it only varies the level 1/4".
They get pretty good reviews on R/C.
Tsunami AT-1 and SpectraPure controller both use air pressure to activate and deactivate an outlet.
Just don't trust the suction cups, I made a mount from a MJ bracket.