PDA

View Full Version : OOPs watch skimmer when using epoxy

gkersten
11-19-2008, 04:31 AM
:redface:Okay so im sure we all know this but I thought Id share a major blunder with you so that others who are not a stupid as me can at least have a chuckle.

Decided I was tired of watching my sps's fall over after a nite of snail and crab action so I set out to fix them to the live rock using underwater expoxy> I was the going to do my bi weekly chores and clean up the filter room, clean out the skimmate etc . after my glue job was finished

So as you know when you use the epoxy, the skimmer goes nuts for a while and produces loads of skimmate for a few hours . Well you guessed it , as soon as I was done my epoxy job I go into the filter room only to see the entire volume of this weeks skimmate over flow into the sump:twised:
Needless to say I did a quick 20 % water change and will do another tomorrow .... NOTE TO SELF .. CHANGE OUT THE SKIMMATE BEFORE YOU USE EPOXY :cry:

Keri
11-19-2008, 04:38 AM
Oops! Good to know!

Aquattro
11-19-2008, 05:13 AM
Hmm, I've never had that happen.

marie
11-19-2008, 05:15 AM
Hmm, I've never had that happen.

Me neither

Trigger Man
11-19-2008, 05:22 AM
I've had that happen when using a lot of epoxy. At first I could not figure out why my skimmer was going nuts, but then after thinking about it I figured it out.

gkersten
11-19-2008, 05:40 AM
:smile:gee I thought it was just me ... thanks

EmilyB
11-19-2008, 05:44 AM
http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/500/whistling.gif

niloc16
11-19-2008, 06:05 AM
its never happened to me either. what size water volume do you have. i would imagine with lower water volume there would be a bigger reaction

Trigger Man
11-19-2008, 06:18 PM
its never happened to me either. what size water volume do you have. i would imagine with lower water volume there would be a bigger reaction

my display tank is over 125g and then around 20g or so of water in sump. When it affected my skimmer I was attaching some rocks and doing a little buildup for a frag. I guess once done slowly it would have been Ok. Normally I have not probs, but as you can see it can happen with a bigger tank.

Delphinus
11-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Just curious, what epoxy? I just tried D-D Aquascape and it's made the skimmer go berserk. I've never had this happen before. But then, I've always used Holdfast in the past (this stuff (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=mc-hfast)). I only bought the D-D because it was the only epoxy the store that I went to to load up on epoxy, had...)

Lance
11-23-2008, 03:27 PM
AquaStik Epoxy Putty by Two Little Fishies. I get it from O/A.

gkersten
11-23-2008, 06:16 PM
My total water volume is 265 gals inc. sumps minus the rock etc. I have only used two little fishes aquastick . At the last episode I used about half a stick. I have not used any other brands but maybe I should try .I dont find TLF sticks very well unless you push into holes etc even if I try to dry the base of the disc to stickiness is really non existent

Aquattro
11-23-2008, 06:38 PM
.I dont find TLF sticks very well unless you push into holes etc even if I try to dry the base of the disc to stickiness is really non existent

It isn't supposed to stick. It's a filler, not a glue. You wrap the base of your frag, then stuff it in a hole or crack. When the epoxy dries, it's stuck in place. It will not stick to the surface of a rock unless you smudge it into cracks and crevices.

Trigger Man
11-23-2008, 08:48 PM
Just curious, what epoxy? I just tried D-D Aquascape and it's made the skimmer go berserk. I've never had this happen before. But then, I've always used Holdfast in the past (this stuff (http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/product-info.php?product_ID=mc-hfast)). I only bought the D-D because it was the only epoxy the store that I went to to load up on epoxy, had...)

My skimmer went crazy with the Holdfast stuff, maybe it was a bad batch, or is there a expiry date for the stuff (mine was a little under 2 years old).