PDA

View Full Version : The real reason some tanks are sold cheaply..

EmilyB
05-04-2003, 02:46 AM
http://www.members.shaw.ca/beans666/BoomDSC00001_rs.JPG

:cry: :evil: :cry: :evil:

All livestock saved. (Thanks Alan again for your impeccable timing and assistance)

Working some damage control now, lots of ballast wet etc. More later.

Tank provided by Gold's.

christyf5
05-04-2003, 02:57 AM
Aww man, that is just brutal :frown: . Good luck with the clean up. Wish I could help.

Christy :)

AJ_77
05-04-2003, 03:05 AM
Man, that must have popped just as I was ringing your doorbell. :eek:

Really glad to have been there to provide the extra hands (3 people in rubber-soled footwear splashing around in the dark, scooping fishies by flashlight, Barry in emergency-response mode making sure we didn't get zapped...)

And just like in a bad dream, no saltwater mixed and standing by.
:evil:

Bloody tank "looked" pretty well-made, too...

Aquattro
05-04-2003, 03:17 AM
holy crap... :eek:

Canadian Man
05-04-2003, 03:36 AM
wow! tell us more when you have chance :confused: :frown:

EmilyB
05-04-2003, 04:33 AM
Man, that must have popped just as I was ringing your doorbell. :eek:

Ten minutes later, and no live fishes...we were both upstairs, preoccupied. I had fed the tank not 30 minutes earlier.

Really glad to have been there to provide the extra hands (3 people in rubber-soled footwear splashing around in the dark, scooping fishies by flashlight, Barry in emergency-response mode making sure we didn't get zapped...)

definitely a good case for the GFCI since we went trucking down the stairs first, smelled the electrical burning....

And just like in a bad dream, no saltwater mixed and standing by.
:evil:

I have a recurring nightmare about this, trying to save my fish and having no sw available. And tonite I know why...I have other tanks to scoop water from. If this had been my only tank, and I had no SW made...what then?
http://www.members.shaw.ca/beans666/Boom2DSC00001_rs.JPG

Definitely, the right side calved. We are speculating at this point a possible weakness. If you have any other ideas, let me know.

We will certainly let Golds know, if nothing else, in case this is a reason for them to buy their cheap tanks elsewhere, or in case it has happened to anyone else. Personally, I now value my 7 year AGA guarantees a little more highly.

BTW, I got every bit of sand and every bristleworm out too...might have missed the odd copepod....found a snail on the back of the algae magnet last of all.......

Quinn
05-04-2003, 05:46 AM
oh my god. that is really rotten - and not much reassurance for someone who is filling their 150 gallon tomorrow :neutral: good job on quick thinking though.

Troy F
05-04-2003, 06:03 AM
Damn, that's scary. I have nightmares about that happening. Glad you were able to react so well. Hope everything works out.

EmilyB
05-04-2003, 06:22 AM
oh my god. that is really rotten - and not much reassurance for someone who is filling their 150 gallon tomorrow :neutral:

Time ? Address? :razz:

Pics are mandatory... :mrgreen:

Buccaneer
05-04-2003, 06:37 AM
That was not one of your show tanks right ? ... thats 2 in a week ( Cheapreef too ) :frown:

Glad you got everyone saved

Cheers

Quinn
05-04-2003, 06:37 AM
hehe tomorrow we start at 11am. if you're actually wanting to come down, PM me and i'll give you the directions. or you can come down with jon, he's leaving at around 9am.

pics will be up regardless. :razz:

MitchM
05-04-2003, 12:56 PM
:eek:

If you need to store a coral or fish, Deb, just let me know. I've still got lots of room.

Mitch

trilinearmipmap
05-04-2003, 02:13 PM
I am sorry that has happened to you.

It makes me want to get a disaster kit ready in case that ever happened to me.

A large empty rubbermaid and one of those "screamer" water detector devices might be a good investment.

StirCrazy
05-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Damn that sucks... what brand of tank was that Emily?

Steve

Jack
05-04-2003, 06:40 PM
:eek: wholy crap is right!

That must suck em! What now? :neutral:

Delphinus
05-04-2003, 08:57 PM
Not the kind of story you want to hear about!!!

Sorry that this had to happen to you.

I am so glad to hear you happened to be home.

What size tank was it? Kind of looks like a 30g or so.

EmilyB
05-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Yes, that was a 33g. And it was in the back room so it missed the TV and satellite receiver this time ! Managed to take out the NO ballast for the 120g, but both halide ballasts are okay..........whew..

It was just a no-name tank Steve, there's a couple guys around town that make them. However, I don't think it's the same guy who makes the tanks for Pisces. The ones they sell come with some kind of guarantee.

Anyway, things are drying out slowly, it just smells a little worse than normal in here.........thanks for sharing :razz:

Samw
05-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Most unfortunate Deb.
For the glass to break like that in a relatively small tank, would the glass have been cracked slightly in the first place?

Skimmerking
05-06-2003, 03:58 PM
wish i was there to help you out ,sorry about that, Deb

rittler
05-22-2003, 04:44 AM
:eek:

Hi you all wow scarry stuff glad it all turned out...

I am new here and after reading this post will be staying you people are awsome I love the support!

Ryan

Aquattro
05-22-2003, 04:52 AM
Hey Ryan, welcome to Canreef!

Dresden
05-22-2003, 06:02 AM
Thats sucks Em, hope things go smooth from now on for u.

rittler
05-22-2003, 07:55 AM
:mrgreen: I am glad to be here have learned a great deal already. I and currently running a freshwater tank but after looking at the picutures around here and reading the posts I am going to start my research into a good Saltwater your tanks look increadable! Cia soon

___
Ryan

sumpfinfishe
05-25-2003, 04:39 AM
Holy Crap :eek:

That must really be a frightening experience. I feel for ya Deb :sad:

So how old and what brand of tank is that. Did it just blow out on it's own or was it caused by other actions. Also was the tank plumbed or not?

I contacted Hagen last year and they advised me that any tank of there's should be replaced between 8-10 years due to weakness of the silicone.

Now I'm gonna have trouble sleeping after that pic.

Hope the cleanup goes well
cheers, Rich

BC_Grl
05-25-2003, 04:56 PM
Deb, I am so sorry!!! :cry:

What is the update? What happened with the tank? I hope you got compensation from the store you bought it from...

EmilyB
05-25-2003, 07:18 PM
thanks for the reminder guys :rolleyes: :lol:

The tank was only a couple months old and just locally made. It wasn't plumbed. It was in perfect condition when I fed the fish 1/2 hour earlier, and empty right after.

We bought a new one elsewhere the next day.

pocilipora
05-25-2003, 11:39 PM
Not to sound rude or anything but do you think your stand had anything to do with it :rolleyes: Ive cracked a 45 gallon that was on wood and concrete cinder blocks before. :mad: just a thought.