PDA

View Full Version : NO brigher than VHO

titus
02-23-2002, 08:34 PM
Hello,

Okay the title maybe a bit mis-leading. I just bought a Philips daylight bulb (~$5.00) at Home Depot. Comparing it side by side with my other 3 VHOs, it appears to be giving off a lot more light. Mind you my VHOs are a bit old. These are driven by an Icecap 660. So I can't wait to read Master Darren (oh sorry) report on ballast comparison. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

canadawest
02-24-2002, 05:51 AM
I found that the GE Daylight Ultra 40W NO lamps that I use on my Icecap 660 are also comparable to the URI Aquasuns, with the exception of the slight coloration difference.

I suspect that the Icecap's ability to overdrive the NO lamps, and it's alleged underpowering of VHO lamps to preserve the life of the lamps makes them very comparible output wise. We'll soon find out when Darren puts that new light meter to work.

And interestingly, if the latest article about intensity vs color holds any water, we might all be switching to overdriven (on an Icecap or DIY ballast) NO Ultra Daylight 6500K lamps for less than $5 a shot vs $42 URI Aquasuns! I know I will!

titus
02-24-2002, 06:09 AM
Hello,

Haha, see that's why the aquarium manufacturers don't make money because of people and boards like us. images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

If what we think is true, IceCap and the bulb manufacturers, along with the fish stores that sells bulbs, are gonna not make as much money. Haha. Lucky I'm not relying on this to feed my stomach.

DJ88
02-24-2002, 05:18 PM
Titus,

I have ran NO's and VHO's as well and the VHO's aren't that much brighter. I thoght I would try the URI Actinics but will go back to Phillpis 03's shortly. If I can get near the same light with a product with a much lower price why waste the cash?

I am not out to get any manufacturer. I jsut want the hobbiests to know where they stand as far as output and such. I don't want to take money away fom anyone.. Just want to know. But it will happen. Someone is going to be disappointed with the info I find.

Another reason I want this to come out is that without the numbers no manufacturers have a reason to make the products better. They can't be compared to, and if a competitor was to do it they could say the data was biased. I am sure if something big comes out of this there will be calls of biased testing. I know it will happen on RC. Sad but true..

Oh well.. Not many of you here actually know where I live so I am not too worried.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

[ 24 February 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]</p>

Aquattro
02-24-2002, 05:50 PM
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by DJ88:

Oh well.. Not many of you here actually know where I live so I am not too worried.. images/smiles/icon_wink.gif

[ 24 February 2002: Message edited by: DJ88 ]<hr></blockquote>

For sale: Darren's address. Highest bid.
images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

DJ88
02-24-2002, 05:54 PM
Funny Brad.. LOL!

images/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mak
03-11-2002, 09:50 PM
I got $5 on it!!! he he he

fredfish
03-11-2002, 10:37 PM
Daren. Are you going to do a series of readings over a period of time?

From my experience with CRT displays, there is a price to pay for over-driving in that the phosphors burn out (off?) sooner.

I suppose at $5 per tube vs $40 per tube, if your NO tubes last longer than 1.5 months, you are still ahead. Hmmm.

This could be interesting.

Fred.

Tau2301
03-12-2002, 01:14 AM
Canadawest

Try the GE Sunshine bulb, runs $6.49 at Canadian Tire. It still a 6500K bulb, but I believe the CRI=90 or 95. That might make up the difference in colour that you are seeing. The Ultra Daylight has a CRI=75.

DJ88
03-12-2002, 02:06 AM
Are you going to do a series of readings over a period of time? <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yes I will be. Once I design some amplification circuitry and filtering circuitry for data logging, the ballasts will be run on 10 on 2 off cycles. All of this will be done until I see a 1/3 drop in lamp intensity. Hopefully that doesn't take TOOO long.. :D

Doug
03-12-2002, 10:58 AM
Are you guys driving both the Ultra,s & Philips actinics with the Icecap?