PDA

View Full Version : Philips vs URI Actinics?

ron101
05-04-2003, 01:43 AM
Time to replace the URI actinics on my Workhorse 7. Was wondering if there is any appreciable difference in output and longevity between those lamps and the Philips actincs. The lamps are wired in parallel so they are run at HO level.

TIA

Aquattro
05-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Ron, I was much happier when I switched to URI from Philips. Visually, the appeared brighter and have a nicer color.

canadawest
05-07-2003, 07:59 PM
I am looking to replace a couple of my URI VHO actinics, and was wondering if it makes any sense to use the Phillips 03's (NO) instead of the more costly VHOs?

Is there really an appreciable difference in output between the VHO and an NO run when on an Icecap 660 ballast?

I currently run GE 6500K NO lamps and they are about as bright as URI VHO Aquasuns (and only cost $5ea), so I wonder if I am better off also saving a few extra $$ and replacing my current VHO Actinics with Phillips NO 03s?

Any thoughts?

Aquattro
05-07-2003, 08:14 PM
Andrew, for me the cost difference is about 10 or 12 bucks, so I would choose the VHOs. If the difference was 20 or 30, I'd prolly go with the Phillips. For me it's only a visual preference..

canadawest
05-08-2003, 06:59 AM
Well it's $17.95 for the Phillips 03s and it's $33.95 for the URI Actinics, so there is definitely a cost savings there ($32 on two lamps). Just wondering if the extra $16 per lamp gives an appreciable increase in output, as it's so hard to tell with Actinic lamps.

That also leads to my curiosity of Actinic White lamps. Anyone use em? What do they look like? I found the Aquasuns were kind of pinkish/purple in appearance compared to a 6500K daylight.

Anyone with comments (or better yet photos) of Actinic Whites?

StirCrazy
05-08-2003, 01:27 PM
I would say if you only have two bulbs and are running them on a IceCap then go with the Phillips as you can't use a VHO to full potential on a IceCap anyways. (and there are to many reports of people saying there is almost no difference between NO and VHO bulbs on a IceCap. If you are using a WH7 then go with with VHO as you can wire them to take advantage of the VHO bulbs.

I went from overdriven NO bulbs in my tank to "properly" driven VHO bulbs and there was a huge difference. The overdriven NO's looked like a night light compared to the VHOs running full power. Now I am running overdriven VHO but that is a different story :wink:

Steve