PDA

View Full Version : Need comment for "wave shape" tank

pangking
11-18-2008, 07:00 PM
My wife fell in love with a "wave shape" tank after I took her to a LFS yestoday:sad:. Its a 95 Gal, galss, left wave(left side of the tank is alike "bowl front" about 24", right side is about 17") tank. A same shape stand to match and support the tank, and plastic look ( not wood ) canopy on the top. The whole set looks nice and stylish, and will cost a little more than a 120 gal regular tank. But my questions are:

1. Lighting, for a mixed coals tank, will a T5 fixture handle the job ? because T5 seems has less heat, and I worry about the HM will bring too much heat that the plastic made canopy can be damaged.

2. Except hanging the light from the celling, is there any mothod can put enough lights in a plastic canopy.(can't take without canopy, my wife loves it :sad:)

2. Any bad or good experience about bowl front or wave shaped tank, such as that may appear more reflection when you look on.

Thanks for guys has answered my questions before, and any comment will be appreciated!

Whatigot
11-18-2008, 08:05 PM
those are really nice tanks...
I hope you went and checked out King Eds in New West as they have an insane amount of tanks on hand and they love to wheel and deal for cash.

Your question is completely dependent on what you (your wife:razz:) would like to keep in your wave tank....

any ideas on what kind of fish/coral you're going to want?

If by mixed, you mean sps, lps and softies then you could most definitely could go with a t5 fixture, I would recommend at least a 6 bulb fixture for a tank of that depth and length.

fkshiu
11-18-2008, 08:24 PM
The curvature of the glass can distort viewing from certain angles. I found this to be the case with my old bowfront. The wave glass is neat and a real conversation starter, but at the end of the day it may take away from what should be more important - what's inside.

Madreefer
11-18-2008, 08:53 PM
I owned a wave tank and now own a half circle. The only complaint that I have is that it is extremely hard to take pics of. And the canopies hold in way too much heat and a pain in the butt to take off every time you need to do some thing inside. Canopy is a waste of money so don't get it, it'll probably end up in a closet within 3 months. Tanks with odd shapes seem to become part of your furniture or decor, so make sure it's gonna look good wherever it sits. Thats just for your brides sake.

Whatigot
11-18-2008, 08:58 PM
The curvature of the glass can distort viewing from certain angles. I found this to be the case with my old bowfront. The wave glass is neat and a real conversation starter, but at the end of the day it may take away from what should be more important - what's inside.

In all fairness (i am running a bowfront), the curvature of the glass can IMPROVE viewing from certain angles.
Like head on for example.

definitely hard to take a good picture of though.

str255
11-18-2008, 09:25 PM
beauty is in the eye of the beholder ...

I have a 96g AGA wave with the "glass-door" stand (vs. the wood stand ... the "glass" stand is much nicer looking and has also has an additional door at one end to let you put in a larger sump ... the wood stand would probably muffle the pumps better though) and a 48" Constellation T5 with a hanging kit ... I also have the versa top and a black cap, neither of which I use (as another poster states ... it's sitting in the closet!).

For the light fixture, my guess is that you could probably use mounting-legs instead of a hanging kit ... and the cap could probably squeeze over it. The cap may help contain light spill and as long as your light fixture vents (has fans) upwards instead of at the ends, and you don't use the black/top panels of the cap, then heat may not be an issue (assuming you use T5's) ... but as previously posted, it's a pain if you need to get into the tank.

It's a beautiful tank, but I think the shape and narrow end limits the rock-work and the tank may be a little too tall.

I bet a 48x24x24 rimless would look nice too!

Leah
11-18-2008, 09:28 PM
Hey,
Cool tank, I have both tanks they are talking about the 95 wave and well as a 72 bow.
I love my wave it is my little treasure. And I really like my bow. Both are nice just different, I am not a big fan of the square or rectangle tanks, I prefer pretty and girlish.
I know exactly how she feels. Very awesome, I think If I had to choose it would be the wave. As for lights I agree ditch the canopy, I have T5's on both my tanks. 6 bulb on the
95. And a 4 on the bow. As long as you don't want any light loving corals its good. My
bow is a reef and my 95 is a F.O.W.L.R. As I wanted angels is all. One nice thing I like
is I can lift the light on and off easily. I play with my fishy's alot. Ha Ha!( I paid $ just under $ 1400. And that was in the okanagan I am sure you could get a smokin better
price down there. I say go for it.
O

Madreefer
11-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Hey,
Cool tank, I am not a big fan of the square or rectangle tanks, I prefer pretty and girlish.

O

I would'nt call it pretty or girlish. lol I'm a dude. lol Can we call it stylish or maybe modern. Thats why I said it turns in to peice of furniture or lets say living artwork. This is my half circle, it sits in a spot where a hutch is supposed to be, this is a open floor plan and my kitchen table sits in front of it.By the way my tank does'nt lokk like this anymore. A good example of how it is hard to take a pic of as well, notice all of the reflections?
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Tank.jpg

pangking
11-19-2008, 03:00 AM
Thanks for all the words that above!

After we read this thread, we decided to get this wave tank, and hope it will be set up soon! I will take pics on its process and post for you guys.:lol:

pangking
11-19-2008, 03:01 AM
I would'nt call it pretty or girlish. lol I'm a dude. lol Can we call it stylish or maybe modern. Thats why I said it turns in to peice of furniture or lets say living artwork. This is my half circle, it sits in a spot where a hutch is supposed to be, this is a open floor plan and my kitchen table sits in front of it.By the way my tank does'nt lokk like this anymore. A good example of how it is hard to take a pic of as well, notice all of the reflections?
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh135/gulflube/Tank.jpg

Nice! Nice! Nice!