PDA

View Full Version : xenia problem. please help

fishguy007
11-18-2008, 07:08 AM
well, today i came home and noted that my xenias are shrivelled. my waving hand ones completly closed up and are turning white. i attached some pictures. they are blury, but its what my cell camera took. can someone help me. what is wrong with them and what would cause it and will they come back to life?

i did a water test. ph amonia nitrite and nitrates and all appeares to be ok.

what would cause this and how can i bring these creatures back to life.

any help and suggestions is appreciated.

ElGuappo
11-18-2008, 07:24 AM
looks kinda like mine does when it gets too close to the torch coral. any stingers around thatt can touch it? it doesnt look to good. i think if it goes some one in your area would be happy to donate a chunk of xenia your way.

looks lifeless any flow there?

fishguy007
11-18-2008, 07:35 AM
no stingers around. funny thing is that i have three frags and all have done the same thing. all three frags are in different areas of the tank.

could it be something with water quality. and if so what?

Snaz
11-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Your live rock looks barren. How old is the tank?

LeeR
11-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Xenia is a good indicator of poor water quality...

As in if its alive and growing you have good water.. but if its dead like that there is probably something wrong with your water.

post the resalts of your tests and people will point out what is wrong and how to fix it.

fishguy007
11-18-2008, 04:39 PM
tank is about a month old. i used all dead rock as the lfs told me this was better and would be live in no time.

xenia have been good for weeks till yesterday.

can i bring these xenia back? or are they probably dead??? i really want to know if the xenia will come back.

it seems to have happened after that shrimp brine shrimp overfeeding. but the ammonia went to 0.25 and then back down. everything else in tank is ok.

nitrite = o
ph = 7.8-7.9
nitrate - 0
ammonia - 0

i posted some pics of what they look like below

please help
what else could be wrong???????

Trigger Man
11-18-2008, 04:46 PM
Check your Mag and you need to raise your PH a bit. Xenias like PH of 8.1 or higher, and I've found best success for myself at around 8.3. When mine were not looking so good a while back I was told to get my mag up so I changed salts to RBS because it had more Mag in it and the Xenias responded quickly. I am now using D-D h2ocean pro + aquarium salt (little higher Cal and the bonus of being a bit cheaper the RBS) and it has continued to show good results for everything in my tank.

alamo
11-18-2008, 04:57 PM
How long has the xenia been in the tank? What kind of lighting are you using?