PDA

View Full Version : MH vs T5

Trigs
11-17-2008, 04:10 AM
Metal halide verse t5 lets hear em people!

Trigger Man
11-17-2008, 04:24 AM
Always a great debate. I have been using T5's for years now and been very happy with them. The main advantages I would say would have to be less heat issues and more bulb combinations to achieve your specific light coloration for the tank. The wattage used is also less in most cases. When I was looking at MH I did like the shimmer effect, as well as some swear that MH grow their corals better. I have had good coral growth with my T5's so I don't know the answer to that one.

Boomboy
11-17-2008, 04:26 AM
whats the point, its a never ending argument, one likes the shimmer and the range of colour, some say its cheaper for the bulb then t5 other says it cheaper with t5s, t5s have more of a range in bulbs, some say it less electricity, some say its more. i think it really has to do with what you want for your tank. you want the MH because you can get more light because you have a smaller tank dimensions or you want more control over the kind of light that your corals get. there are so many points that can be brought up. just do some research into both. maybe MH would be better for some tank setups and t5 for others.

Ryan_Lap
11-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Just use both...:biggrin:

Trigs
11-17-2008, 04:28 AM
Just use both...:biggrin:

Lol very good call, i agree with both comments said already i think if you want to pay less t5 is the best way to go, not necissarily less but you know what i mean, when you get into mh you get into chillers and other sources of cooling and that ends up in spending more money but you have your shimmer affect and with t5 you have a great spectrum of bulb combos, very tough debate

Kronk
11-17-2008, 05:27 AM
Good points for all... I researched for a long time before decideing on MH though I could happily have gone with T5 if the price was right. Realistically there will never be a definate answer on which is better. I went with MH for the following reasons

- cost is cheaper (initial cost and maintenance I swear MH bulbs can go a lot longer than most rate them for and MH kits are easy to setup)
- easier to work around when playing in the tank (never realized how important this would be)
- shimmer
- T5's are only as good as the reflectors you get for them
- Phoenix 14k bulb
- The electronic ballast (never would have considered MH if i had to use the coil/cap)
- a small computer fan and an auto topoff beat most heat issues

Trigs
11-17-2008, 06:30 AM
do you find that your hydro bill goes up or is it quite relevant

mark
11-17-2008, 01:43 PM
T5 poll (http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=37072)

sphelps
11-17-2008, 01:50 PM
I got the best results from both. I tried all halide and all T5 on my tank in many different configurations. The end result was a pretty even combination of both.

ron101
11-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Metal halide verse t5 lets hear em people!

To answer this somewhat appropriately we need to know for what application.

I don't buy that there is a significant efficiency difference. However because the T5 output is spread along the length of the bulb the average temperature is less than a MH where the output is concentrated at one point. Heat transfer depends on temperature difference and this may be why MH are reputed to raise tank temperature more (not produce more heat - there is a difference).

For high wattage requirements MH is the cost effective route. Assuming near equal efficiency, 2 x 400W MH is equivalent to 16 x 54W T5's. Try pricing those two options including bulbs.

Jaws
11-17-2008, 05:48 PM
Is anyone using fiji pink T5's with MH lighting to enhance certain colors? Do you notice it make any difference or is that mainly designed for a full T5 lighting system? Thanks.

Trigger Man
11-17-2008, 05:55 PM
Is anyone using fiji pink T5's with MH lighting to enhance certain colors? Do you notice it make any difference or is that mainly designed for a full T5 lighting system? Thanks.

I've seen a few tanks that have added the Fiji Purples with MH to make certain corals pop and they swear by it now. So in the end maybe it will become the usual to have both MH and T5's in ones light setup.

sphelps
11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
I have 2 Fijis running with 2 250W 14K Phoenix Halides and I like the effect they give. I find them to be brighter and produce better coral color than blue or actinic bulbs. I also run 4 coral light T5s as well. I think it's important not to run too much purple, just enough for the color pop, too much purple ratio makes for a funny looking purple tank and takes away from the color pop effect, IMO.

The only change I would make to my current combination is switching 2 of the coral lights for the new gens.

Jaws
11-17-2008, 06:17 PM
I'll be running two 400W MH's and I'm wondering how many fiji purples I need to run that won't just get washed out by the MH's.

sphelps
11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
I've seen a 6' tank with 3 400W 20K XMs and 4 39W purples and 4 39W Blues and it looks pretty good, you can see the purple effect, but the tank doesn't look purple. I would personally switch the blues for something more useful like a 14K but that's personal preference.

Jaws
11-17-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm in a real struggle here. I've got a 90G corner bow that I'm just about to setup. It's going to be sps dominant with rock walls tapering down from the two back walls towards the center of the tank. I've already got two 400W 14K MH's that I'm going to angle parallel with the each back wall to cover the highest sps growth areas. The front bow of the tank is about 46" and the tank depth is 25". I'm trying to figure out the best MH T5 combo to cover the most area with the best colour. I don't want to hijack this thread so I think I'll start another one but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.