PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia

fishguy007
11-17-2008, 02:45 AM
Having a great day today. Everything can go wrong.. I spilt some frozen brine shrimp in the tank today. The ammonia is now rising. What can i do to bring it down. I have used prime. Will this help.

The protein skimmer is really skimming too.

Oxymoron
11-17-2008, 02:46 AM
Water change?

fishguy007
11-17-2008, 02:48 AM
Will the ammonia just keep going up? Or will it fall .....

Will prime neutralize it?

Oxymoron
11-17-2008, 02:57 AM
Hope this helps
http://www.helium.com/items/651237-how-to-lower-nitrates-in-a-saltwater-aquarium

Oxymoron
11-17-2008, 03:02 AM
If its really bad you might have to go as drastic as a 50% water change according to what I've researched for you bud.
Hope this helps and good luck. Hopefully a pro will answer to confirm this.
Let me know how it works out.
Google "how to lower ammonia in saltwater aquarium" for more info

Oxymoron
11-17-2008, 03:07 AM
Also says to add extra filtration if you have it (hang on filter).

Trigger Man
11-17-2008, 04:19 AM
The link given already is good help. Yes Prime will help lower ammonia, and you can use more then one dose if needed (I think it says that you can use up to 5 times the dose). The best way to get rid of rising ammonia is through water changes and good filtration. As a note when feeding frozen foods, you must remove the non eaten portion, so that it does not decay and cause ammonia spikes (may be over feeding). If you are having ammonia problems I am assuming that your tank is a newer setup and is still cycling through. You should also check to see if anything in your tank had died and is now decaying.

fishguy007
11-17-2008, 02:55 PM
i dropped a big chunk of frozen brine shrimp in tank. way too much for what i have in my tank. i let the filter suck it up and then cleaned it. so i am sure that it was is causing it. the tank is about a month old. the ammonia went down last night adn then up agian this morning. its at about 0.25 hoping it goes down.

Oxymoron
11-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Be prepared to do another water change tonight and perhaps the next couple days until your ammonia is back within limits.

brizzo
11-17-2008, 04:36 PM
With your tank being 1 month old, are you sure it is done cycling??? How big is the tank?

Trigger Man
11-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I'm thinking that your tank is not yet done cycling (as your ammonia levels are apperant) and that if you have live rock you may still be feeling the effects of the die off period. I would now continue with more water changes in order to get that ammonia level down, as well cut down on the amount of feedings you do. If your fish will eat pellets instead of frozen food feed them that for now, as they tend to pollute the water less. When feeding frozen food thawing it out and running it through water before putting it in your tank can help as well (i can explain if needed).

fishguy007
11-18-2008, 07:10 AM
the tank is 32 gallons. any suggestions. i used just base rock in it. that is what they recomended at the store.

fishguy007
11-18-2008, 07:12 AM
yes, can u explain with the frozen food and water. would help. thanks.