PDA

View Full Version : Miracle Mud - Any practical experience?

AndyL
11-16-2008, 04:12 PM
G'day folks,

Just curious, anyone actually running a ecosystems miracle mud system? See lots of conjecture, some really nice tanks, some cesspools... But looking for some more real world knowledge rather than a high vs low tech argument, or propaganda ;)

Yes we know albert doesn't like it :lol:

Thanks in advance,

trilinearmipmap
11-16-2008, 06:36 PM
No practical experience myself and my intuition told me "snake oil" until I saw Hawk's tank in Terrace, it was 2 or 3 years ago that I saw it, it was running Miracle Mud only, no skimmer, and growing beautiful sps and clams. It was the nicest reef tank I have ever seen in person. I don't think he is around on this board any more though.

Pan
11-16-2008, 06:59 PM
The consensus on RC was it was bunk, testing showed nothing spectacular and even a few things potentially harmful. But as everything in this trade some people swear by it and some don't :)

Pescador
11-16-2008, 08:22 PM
I've been running mud in my refugium for at least 5 years, I don't have it set up exactly like the Miracle system and I do use skimmers. (2 in fact)
I don't dose trace elements, I figure my water changes cover it.
I grow mangroves and they really like it, cheato grows like crazy and there are tons of bugs and worms.
I don't believe that it is the magic solution with no skimming or supplements.
When I started in this hobby I found there wasn't one cut and dried method to reefkeeping and I tried to combine parts I liked from different methods.
I have no idea if it is any better than any other mud, I really doubt there is a magic ingredient that justifies the price but it seems to works for me so I stuck with it.
Just my 2 cents

wickedfrags
11-16-2008, 08:50 PM
From my perspective (real world knowledge), invest your money elsewhere. I have seen many nice tanks over the past 10+ years, not one has ever used this product. I am confident you can accomplish whatever your goals are for this tank without this product.

G'day folks,

Just curious, anyone actually running a ecosystems miracle mud system? See lots of conjecture, some really nice tanks, some cesspools... But looking for some more real world knowledge rather than a high vs low tech argument, or propaganda ;)

Yes we know albert doesn't like it :lol:

Thanks in advance,

AndyL
11-17-2008, 12:58 AM
I'm actually looking at the system as a whole, not so much just the product... It's the theory behind the system, skimmerless w/ significant planctonic biodiversity that interests me the most. We've all run the typical berlin system to varying degrees of success - its the alternatives that I'm finding interesting...

I'm still wrapping my mind around why I'm skimming out all "planktonic life" simply to be trying to replace it with supplements (ie Kent phyto/chroma/zoomax, reefroids etc), I'm also being tempted by those non phytosynthetic gorgonians's etc - which of course would do much better under this type of environment - rather than my 2-3x / day feedings...

Pescador
11-17-2008, 02:46 AM
Just a thought, there are different types of refugia that can cultivate different types of micro-crustaceans and plankton.
Like mangrove refugias, turf scrubbers, refugias for cheato, caulerpa and seagrass, as well as lagoon style for LPS.
Refugiums can be set up as reactors for zoo or phytoplankton and plumbed in post skimmer.
Delbeek's Volume 3 has some really good information on different systems and talks about Miracle Mud.:wink:
But back to your point you are still skimming out food.

chandigz
11-17-2008, 03:06 AM
I have been using a mineral mud filter (Carab sea mineral mud) for 2 years, 3" -4" mineral bed, algae and 24 hour lighting. I do add suppliments. I seldomly do water changes (a few times a year) and have zero nitrates or phosphates. Everything (sps, lps, softies,zoos,etc)does fine, but I believe a skimmer has its benifits (removing other contaminants and organic compounds) and I will be adding a small hang on skimmer before the mud bed making it a hybred system.Planktonic life is great, my tank gets fed twice a week and all fish are fat and healthy. (I have a pair of realy fat mandarin gobies) Any of my filterfeeding organisms seem to do realy well. I do suppliment once a week (if they are lucky) phyto additions. good luck

inspector
11-17-2008, 06:16 PM
HI I have a 75gal bow front tank with a 30 gal sump c/w miracle mud .I don't have a skimmer just the sump with Calerpa and cheato , sump is full of life grows like mad. The system has been running for about 3 1/2 years only do water changes and all is good.I am not sure if its the miracle mud or not as supposed to change the 1/2 of the mud every 2 years I didn't and everything is still good.
Not sure if that helped I hope so there are lots of ways to do things just find whats best for you.
paul