PDA

View Full Version : Some Question about reef equipment

pangking
11-16-2008, 06:12 AM
Newbie, visited couple LFS, getting confusesed:

1. 120GAL ( 2X2X4 ) reef ready class tank will cost 750.00(brand name)-350.00(no name)

2. Wood stand for 120 GAL will cost $1000.00-$350.00

3. Lights $1500.00 - $350.00

4. A 33 GAL cheap glass tank + a filter sock = sump ?
(A guy showed me a really simple sump build with a filter sock + skimmer in a glass tank, no any partition, ran as a sump)

So I just don't sure if I should spend 1500.00 for the light ? and any stuff that above more expensive are better or necessary ? and a pre-made sump($400.00) or just a glass tank?

Should it cost $4000-$5000 to build a 120 GAL reef tank?
Thanks for any words!

mark
11-16-2008, 06:24 AM
1. even cheaper used
2. are you handy, can make a nice stand with 2x4 and good plywood
3. going reef, maybe a little higher than the $350 for a couple of MH pendants, bulbs and ballasts if going new
4. sump doesn't need to fancy, old glass tank, a visit to a glass shop to get some baffles cut and a tube of silicone

Don't forget the skimmer, heater, ro/di unit, salt, test kits, livestock... then the on going costs.

Do tank a look through the buy and sale forums on Canreef lot of stuff and even the odd complete system.

Should also add, see if you can visit peoples tanks. The real world isn't always what the LFS says

ponokareefer
11-16-2008, 06:42 AM
If you're going new for everything, you will spend a lot more than $5000 for everthing you need. I agree with the previous post, and look for a used one. You may have to wait until you find one, but it will be a fraction of the cost.
If you do go new, try to figure out what you will want to keep. That will direct you to what type of equipment you want. You could spend $1500 on lighting, or $200, depending on if you want to keep corals/clams/anemones, or just fish. Regardless of what you are going to keep in the tank, you should look for a good skimmer. I have an ASM G-3 skimmer on my 125 gallon system, which works fairly well, and the price isn't too bad.

Marlin65
11-16-2008, 03:52 PM
There is a one twenty for sale with everything in the buy/sell section it's a 6' tank, but you could always get a new tank and sell or take back to the LFS the stuff you don't want.
I am sure the guy selling it would give you some advice.
He is looking for $2500

pangking
11-16-2008, 04:56 PM
1. even cheaper used
2. are you handy, can make a nice stand with 2x4 and good plywood
3. going reef, maybe a little higher than the $350 for a couple of MH pendants, bulbs and ballasts if going new
4. sump doesn't need to fancy, old glass tank, a visit to a glass shop to get some baffles cut and a tube of silicone

Don't forget the skimmer, heater, ro/di unit, salt, test kits, livestock... then the on going costs.

Do tank a look through the buy and sale forums on Canreef lot of stuff and even the odd complete system.

Should also add, see if you can visit peoples tanks. The real world isn't always what the LFS says

Thanks for all the words! Looking for tank in buy and sale......
________
portable vaporizer (http://vaporizers.net/iolite-vaporizer)

dabandit
11-16-2008, 06:25 PM
when you buy equipment for saltwater dont cheap out. Either way youll end up buying the expensive one,either right away or when you realise the cheap one doesnt work right.

pangking
11-17-2008, 12:54 AM
when you buy equipment for saltwater dont cheap out. Either way youll end up buying the expensive one,either right away or when you realise the cheap one doesnt work right.

I like this one! Thanks!

mark
11-17-2008, 01:19 AM

Within reason.

Nothing wrong with my ASM G3. Kicking over a extra $1000+ could have had a Bubble King, but is my tank going the crash because I didn't or will I be buying one in the future, not likely.