PDA

View Full Version : Sohal or Clown Tang?

MikeP
11-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I'm considering getting one of these tangs. Does anyone want to share experience or knowledge on either? I have a Naso and a Regal now which are both very peaceful. I was told the sohal can be aggressive but is okay if he's added as the last tang in the tank and the clown is more peaceful but not as hardy.

Thanks for any info.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-15-2008, 11:21 PM
I've heard the Clown Tang can also be extremely aggressive. They're both SO pretty, though. Good luck :)

moldrik
11-15-2008, 11:23 PM
I got attacked by a clown tang while diving in Thailand, I've heard that they are extremely territorial and the one that attacked me, granted, was protecting his eggs.
________
herbal vaporizers (http://vaporshop.com)

AJ_77
11-16-2008, 12:05 AM
If you like Bob Fenner's take on things, he recommends the Sohal:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Asohal.htm

Not so much the Clown: "An aggressive species that causes trouble often with growth in aquariums."
From http://www.wetwebmedia.com/badacanthurusaq.htm

If you value the peaceful environment your Naso and Regal share you may want to consider how that is likely to change, at least in the short term.

Trigger Man
11-16-2008, 12:14 AM
It is true, the Clowns just don't seem to be as hardy as they used to be. I was also looking into them and after talking to many different people and LFSs it seems that their survival rate from the wild into tanks has dropped significantly. So it seems now either you'll get one that lasts or dies off quickly. I had a Sohal a while back and I liked how much personality it had. It was an active fish and got along with all it's tank mates. The problem I had was that I found out that they really need to be the last one introduced into the tank. Mine would swim to the opposite side of the tank from where the new fish was and torpedo itself at it. In the end I ended up selling it back to the local fish store, because I knew that I would probably want to add more fish later on.

naesco
11-16-2008, 01:30 AM
Aj and Trigger give great advice. Both are aggressive and should be your last tang in your tank.
I agree with the post that clown tangs do well for a time and seem to go downhill without for no reason. Choose the solhol and make sure you leave the lights off for a day after you add him. Thanks for asking

truperc
11-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I tried a clown tang once and it did not survive more than a few days. I have known others with the same experience. Though I have not had experience with a shoal I have not heard bad things about them.

MikeP
11-16-2008, 04:53 PM
So it sounds like the Sohal is the best choice. It would be the last tang I add to the tank but I can see myself adding other smaller fish in the future. Anybody think that will be okay? I'm also going to try and find a smaller Sohal to buy.

Trigger Man
11-16-2008, 06:09 PM
If possible add the small fish you are thinking about first, because like I mentioned before, with my experience the sohal attacked evey fish I added after it, and hence I had to remove it. The sohal was the hardest fish I've ever had to catch, in the end most of my rockwork had to be removed from the tank, and after seeing your tank I know it would be even more tough for you, as at the time I had no coral to worry about.

MikeP
11-16-2008, 11:35 PM
Thanks everyone.

globaldesigns
11-17-2008, 01:34 AM
Sohal Tangs are aggressive, but ok if added last. I have a Yellow and Blue Tang, also added a Sohal last. I found it a little aggressive, but never nips at anyone, just chases once in awhile. Very Beautiful fish

fishoholic
11-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Both :mrgreen: I know it's taboo, but I have a Sohal (8") and a Clown (4") tang in my 230g tank. I've had the clown tang for almost a year now and it's very healthy. I added the Sohal two months ago and there hasn't been any agression between the two of them. In fact I had read so much about the Sohal and Clown tangs being so agressive I was waiting for disaster to happen, but I guess I got abnormal tangs because both of them are very peacful in my tank.

MikeP
11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Both :mrgreen: I know it's taboo, but I have a Sohal (8") and a Clown (4") tang in my 230g tank. I've had the clown tang for almost a year now and it's very healthy. I added the Sohal two months ago and there hasn't been any agression between the two of them. In fact I had read so much about the Sohal and Clown tangs being so agressive I was waiting for disaster to happen, but I guess I got abnormal tangs because both of them are very peacful in my tank.

That's interesting to hear. What other fish do you have in there? Have you added other fish after the Clown and Sohal. Were the clown and Sohal added at the same time?

fishoholic
11-17-2008, 04:52 PM
That's interesting to hear. What other fish do you have in there? Have you added other fish after the Clown and Sohal. Were the clown and Sohal added at the same time?

Too many other fish :redface:, this is why I'm starting up another 230g. I'm going to seperate my tangs and angelfish. For tangs I have: sohal, clown, naso, salfin, regal/hippo, & a yellow. I have 3 clown fish, 4 chromis, and a couple of gobies. For angels I have: blueface, queen, blue ring, coral beauty, and emperor. The Clown tang was added to the tank around Feb.-March 2008 and the Sohal was added at the end of Aug. 2008, very surprisingly they have never bothered eachother. I added a bi-colour blenny and a six line wrasse and the blue ring angel after the Sohal. The Sohal has never bothered any of the other fish in my tank, including the ones that came after. Ironically it's my Regal tang (who's supposed to be peaceful) that beats up and torments my poor Blue ring angel.

I've heard of other Sohals and Clown tangs that are really mean, but so far I've lucked out and both of them have been very peaceful in my tank.

dstasiuk
11-20-2008, 04:29 AM
I don't know if a couple of months is long enough - I added a 4" Sohal 6 months ago. He settled in fine and was getting along marvelously - no agression.

About 6 weeks ago, he figured out that he should be the "boss", and now has decided that my Foxface is his competion. He's not too bad - mostly just a little chasing, but at feeding time, he does his best to ensure that the Foxface doesn't get supper. I suspect that one of them is going to have to go :sad:

The Sohal is a beautiful fish, but don't bank on a leopard changing his spots...

fishoholic
11-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I don't know if a couple of months is long enough - I added a 4" Sohal 6 months ago. He settled in fine and was getting along marvelously - no agression.

About 6 weeks ago, he figured out that he should be the "boss", and now has decided that my Foxface is his competion. He's not too bad - mostly just a little chasing, but at feeding time, he does his best to ensure that the Foxface doesn't get supper. I suspect that one of them is going to have to go :sad:

The Sohal is a beautiful fish, but don't bank on a leopard changing his spots...

Good point, you never know if they'll contine to be peacefull or if they'll change as time passes. My Sohal is 8" and my Salfin is 10". Right now my Salfin is "The boss" and keeps everyone else in line. No one challenges him, it's like they all realize he's the biggest and they all respect him. We'll see if time changes things or not, but hopefully they will continue to get along for years to come.

MikeP
11-20-2008, 06:00 PM
So I picked up a 4 inch Sohal a few days ago. Everything is going well. He's been chased a bit my my Foxface and Regal tang but for the most part everyone is getting along. Here's hoping he remains peaceful. He was out and about the day after going into the tank (which was right after lights out on Tuesday). He eating and is looking good :).

fishoholic
11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
So I picked up a 4 inch Sohal a few days ago. Everything is going well. He's been chased a bit my my Foxface and Regal tang but for the most part everyone is getting along. Here's hoping he remains peaceful. He was out and about the day after going into the tank (which was right after lights out on Tuesday). He eating and is looking good :).

Cool, I hope it all works out for you :biggrin:

i have crabs
11-20-2008, 08:52 PM

no qt shame shame on you

Trigger Man
11-20-2008, 09:09 PM
The good ol QT debate again, each has it's up and downs. For the most part I've stopped using QT tanks and my last 5 fish adapted well with no problems. I do have a QT tank going right now though, but only because I picked up a Achilles and wanted to make sure that it was treated and fattened up before putting it in my Display tank.