PDA

View Full Version : Determining floor/joist weight capacity

newreefer_59
11-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Just wanting to know if any of you consulted an engineer or other 'knowing' person in determining the floor and/or joist weight capacity that will support my tank. Given that my 148 gallon tank will weigh I guess between 1600-2000 pounds, I woud like it to remain on my main floor as opposed to in the basement....lol.

I have talked with the home builder as well as an engineering firm, but they all pass it off to someone who doesn't return phone calls. Any advise appreciated.

superduperwesman
11-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Just do it... if it has to be in the basement it'll get there :)

sphelps
11-14-2008, 03:50 PM
Against a load bearing wall and perpendicular to floor joints and you should be fine. is it a 6 foot tank? The more joists you can line up under the tank the better, and avoid using a large sump or plumb it into the basement. You can also attach the stand to the wall for extra support but if the tank is on a softer floor fill the tank first prior to mounting.

newreefer_59
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
It is about a foot from a load bearing beam and about 40% of it is riding over 3 perpendicular joists. Those two facts I like. Where my concern lies is the other 60% of the aquarium is over a single parallel joist that attaches to the perpendicular one. Kinda hard to describe. Can I scan a drawing and display it here?

Oh, and the tank is 2'x5' with sump already plumbed in under the tank.

Trigger Man
11-14-2008, 06:04 PM
So is the actual display tank 148g, or is the tank and sump 148g. For added support and weight distribution you can also put a plywood sheet under the stand. I am also assuming that since you talked to your builder your house is a newer home so it would probably have silent flooring which include I beams. (these beams take a lot more weight) My tank is 5 feet long and with sump it is around 150 g. My house is a newer home and the tank is a foot and a bit from the side weight bearing wall. The tank goes towards the center of the home, and is near the middle of the room. I have had the tank there with no problems for over 2 years, and I've had the house packed with people and no body or tank has gone through the floor, so I would guess you are alright). When I was trying to get an answer about what a Joist could take I was told that each joist (if I-joist) could take around 7-800 pounds. Hope this helps.

sphelps
11-14-2008, 06:48 PM
It is about a foot from a load bearing beam and about 40% of it is riding over 3 perpendicular joists. Those two facts I like. Where my concern lies is the other 60% of the aquarium is over a single parallel joist that attaches to the perpendicular one. Kinda hard to describe. Can I scan a drawing and display it here?

Oh, and the tank is 2'x5' with sump already plumbed in under the tank.
That's starting to sound a little risky and I can't give a professional opinion and you won't likely get one here. There's no doubt the floor will hold but what happens when you have a party and all your guests crowd around the one side?

The tank weight should be evenly distributed, lengthwise across a load bearing structure and perpendicular to floor joists. Other scenarios are harder to analyze and you'll likely need to send drawings in or have it professionally evaluated to get a correct answer.

hummer
11-14-2008, 07:08 PM
There's no doubt the floor will hold but what happens when you have a party and all your guests crowd around the one side?

My builder told me the floor is suppose to support a heavy load. But I got them to reenforce the joists under the tank just to be extra safe.
I have a 90Gal on Hardwood floors. I had a party last week and people were jumping around the tank. Playing some sort of pictionary type game. I saw the tank swaying. I had to stop them from jumping close to the tank cuz it probably would have tipped.

newreefer_59
11-14-2008, 07:40 PM
I am getting some great responses here. To answer Triggerman: The actual tank is 60X24X24, so without anything but water, it is 148 gallon PLUS a 56 gallon sump under it that would be half full I imagine at any given time. There is already a 3/4 " sheet of plywood under it and the joists are 12" I-Beams. There would not be any major partying around it as it is in a library type room and against one wall as well. I will attach a drawing.

sphelps
11-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Your 12" I-Beams, is that a steel beam I-beam or just a wood beam? If it's an I-beam do you know the designation? Same question for the "load bearing beam". For example W12x40.

I don't like the way it sits, I guess you can't have the tank sit centered over the two "I-joists"? As it stands you may get a titer-totter effect.

I'm not a structural engineer and I don't have the full picture but your floor support looks really strange to me, does that pass inspection these days?

newreefer_59
11-14-2008, 08:14 PM
The drawing I made is to scale, and no, I cannot move the tank any further so that the double joist is in the middle:(

What the drawing does not show is the 2 joists drawn that sit on the outside concrete wall actually extend about 2 feet farther out as the house juts out there - originally intended for a dining room.

The beams are wood and unsure of the designation, but could check.

dabandit
11-14-2008, 08:36 PM
I am a contractor and i would stronglly advise against it,the issue isnt how much weight the floor joist can bear its how the floor joist is attached. Most floor joists are attached with a saddle bracket which for a period would support the weight,but your problem is a CONSTANT load of over 1400lbs which they cannot support, in time with vibration the nails will pull out. Ok..that said,now you need to determine whether the floor sits on a lower wall or if it sits on brackets....you follow? p.s the wieght rating of an i-beam is over 1000lbs not 600 as mentioned so there is no issue there. Is your basement finished? you could frame up a supporting wall very cheap or buy a steel shoring post anyway I hope that helps. I'm around here alot if you need more info or clarifying. Good Luck sounds like the tank will be worth it

dabandit
11-14-2008, 08:46 PM
I just saw your drawing and youll have brackets where the 2 joists meet,you need to reinforce that one ibeam that the other ibeams are attached to because that one joist is bearing the weight of all the others conected to it..you follow? bolt a 2x8 into the groove of the ibeam on both sides including between the joists and your probelm is solved about 60$in materials,150ish if you remove drywall. The piece of mind is worth it

newreefer_59
11-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Yes, the joists in question are attached by that metal joist hangar (perhaps called a saddle bracket?). Anyway, I fully developed the basement about 5 years ago, and - as it happens- where the aquarium sits is directly above my workshop area and is therefore conveniently open to put whatever support I would need from below. So keepimg in mind it is still my workshop area and so do not wish to take up too much area, would a stragically placed telepost(s) or 4X4 post along that lone joist do it and do I allow for some sinking of the floor or just put the post snug to the joist and concrete floor. Also, the floor, of course, has no poured footing, so is that a concern?

dabandit
11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Ok second look at your drawing i see thats a double ibeam what i explained was allready done your good to go put a telepost on the opposite side of the tank if you like to prevent the beam from bowing but i think your good if you dont want to.....no worries Good luck with the tank

newreefer_59
11-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Great...thanks very much. I was thinking a telepost where the 2 joists meet plus an additional one 37" down to meet the edge of the aquarium, or is that overkill?

mark
11-14-2008, 10:47 PM
I've got my 145g (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/stand2.jpg)sitting across 5 joists (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/truss.jpg) midway between 2 beams ~10' apart. Though the stand (http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h316/das75/050722hsestand.jpg)is built in, it basically 2x4" construction.

No cracks in the grout or stone in front of it and I've really got to bounce my 200+ close to the tank to get a ripple.

mark
11-14-2008, 10:56 PM
and a additional comment, during house construction often see about 4 foot stack of drywall or sheeting sitting in the middle of the house. It's got to weight a few pounds and can't say I've seen any lifts ending up in the basement from the floor collapsing.

Lance
11-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Floors collapsing under large loads are not very common. It is the sagging of the joists under the prolonged weight that is usually the problem.

scorpio73
11-15-2008, 04:09 AM
does the stand have a flat base or just edge base hollow in center
because the weight is min if its a flat base not hollow . i have a 180 with a 90 gal fuge and no problems over 5 joists and its about 200 pounds per sqaure foot so i figure i am over 200lbs and the floor hold s me

dabandit
11-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Let me try to clarify this for everyone,the joists can bear the weight but it depends on how they are anchored,a saddle bracket alone cannot bear the prolonged constant weight. If you people want to risk it its your perogative,but reinforcing costs maybe 200$ what did your tank setup cost? or how much damage you think 100+gallons of water would cause?

mark
11-15-2008, 06:23 PM
Let me try to clarify this for everyone,the joists can bear the weight but it depends on how they are anchored,a saddle bracket alone cannot bear the prolonged constant weight. If you people want to risk it its your perogative,but reinforcing costs maybe 200$ what did your tank setup cost? or how much damage you think 100+gallons of water would cause?
Guess I'm lucky, my floor joists sit on top on my perimeter walls and beams, no hangers.