PDA

View Full Version : visiting Calgary

wil0311
11-13-2008, 03:54 PM
I am visiting Calgary from Saskatchewan and I would like to know what local saltwater fish stores you guys recommend visiting while I'm here.

Thanks Jason.

sphelps
11-13-2008, 04:00 PM
Been a while since I was in Calgary but the first place I would check out is the new big als just because I haven't seen it yet, then red coral followed by the twins on 16th. I don't think the rest are worth while but there are a few more.

wil0311
11-13-2008, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know the address of Big als. What about the twins? Mapquest does not show these.

xtreme
11-13-2008, 04:27 PM
The twins he refers to are Ocean City and Wai's Aquarium. I would also recommend checking out Gold Aquariums on 17ave SE. Was there last night, have some very nice fish right now. Wish I could afford a Golden Rhomboid Wrasse they have right now. Big Al's is a disappointment, the fish and corals they do have, which wasn't very many last time I was there didn't look healthy at all.

Ocean City, Red Coral and Gold's are the top three I would recommend.

xtreme
11-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Does anyone know the address of Big als. What about the twins? Mapquest does not show these.

2020 32 ave NE I think.:biggrin:

Delphinus
11-13-2008, 04:30 PM
LOL, never heard it referred to that way. I'm guessing it refers to "Ocean City" and "Wai's Aquarium" because they are so close to each other. Anyhow Big Al's is neat because it's big, but bear in mind a great portion of it is going to be FW.

Gold Aquariums on 17Av SE is also a neat store. They just landed a spectacular Hawaii shipment too, so some nice stuff in atm.

And there is also Elite in the south which is about 50/50 salt/freshwater.

Trigger Man
11-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Red coral has a good selection of corals in right now it's in the NW and is a vendor on here so you can get the address that way.
Golds is expecting a tonne of new fish by Friday (they were saying 3-4 shipments) and they have some good fish in right now so I'd drop by there.
I dropped by Big Al's yesterday and as mentioned before, not much worth while in there currently, unless you are wanting dry goods, then they have a lot.
Ocean City tends to have a good assortment as well, so those would be my top three picks.

AJ_77
11-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Fro Trigger Man's top 3 you could look at the Alberta Stores List thread:

http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=43101

If you're going to Ocean City on 16th you may as well stop in at Wai's - just east in another strip mall.