PDA

View Full Version : 1st Crash!!!

inkslinger
11-13-2008, 03:48 PM
WTF!!! woke up this morning to find every single fish in my tank belly up !!!!I love this hobby but things like that really urk me! Had to do a tear down sooner or later to swith over to a new 90g setup , but this is ridiculous. Well, back to page one!:bad-word:

inkslinger
11-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh we will be fixing it...not getting out that easy, gotta find out why now, too early to do a accurate test??? lots of death...like i said getting into a much better setup this weekend, guess i get a head start on cleaning **** up!!

inkslinger
11-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Really, where to start first, bin in the hobby since 06' and never seen this before...what tests should a person run first...???

Chaloupa
11-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Crashes don't happen to everyone. How old is your tank, livestock, something crashed it....if you want to try to find out what, look for obvious things....ie power shut off to tank overnight or longer and they got cold....etc and then start testing the water.

rocketlily
11-13-2008, 04:28 PM
or do you just like to bitch?

Seriously?

inkslinger
11-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Tank is about 2 years old...added a new tang a week ago but he was doing fine, heat, salt...all good. Going to test everything after work. Such a **** off, but what can ya do.

inkslinger
11-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Wow that's a pretty useless post. So are you interested in fixing your problem so it doesn't happen again or do you just like to bitch?

wondering if this is an attempt at critism or really helpful insight, cuz im really unsure!!!

Trigger Man
11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
If the tank was running that long and the only change you did was add a new fish then there is a pretty good chance that the fish was carrying something. Did you QT the tang before adding it to the system? After adding the tang did it seem like bit by bit the other fish were acting a little less lively. How often do you do a water change, and did you increase feedings in order to get the new tang eating? I once did a water change with a new sponge that was supposed to have no chemicals in it and the next day all my fishes were floating. I ended up getting a hold of the company that made the sponges and they said it is possible that the batch before may have had anti bacterial applied to it and that traces of the substance could have got on to my sponge, but of course they were not responsible. Good luck solving the mystery, and sorry to hear about your loss.

AJ_77
11-13-2008, 04:48 PM
wondering if this is an attempt at critism or really helpful insight, cuz im really unsure!!!Some people are very direct - what he may be saying is that "venting" posts aren't productive unless a call for help or advice is included.

Taken with all the posts here, on balance you have a pretty good response. Not everybody is going to be sensitive to your feelings, so don't take it wrong. The idea is to get you thinking and acting, and that was done. Now you have some great advice.

sphelps
11-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Some people are very direct - what he may be saying is that "venting" posts aren't productive unless a call for help or advice is included.

Pretty much. Telling us how you feel doesn't fix the issue, if you want help you'll have to tell us a little more information regarding your setup. Tanks don't crash for no reason.
My comment wasn't suppose to be helpful or criticism. Simply a question asking if you're looking for help or just wanting to vent.

Reefer Rob
11-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Wow that's a pretty useless post. So are you interested in fixing your problem so it doesn't happen again or do you just like to bitch?

This seems like a post that would be more appropriate on RC. So much for our friendly little board. Is there a history here or something? If I woke up to something like that, I'd want to vent too!

fishoholic
11-13-2008, 06:19 PM
If I woke up to something like that, I'd want to vent too!

That's what I was thinking. Heaven knows I've vented on here when I've lost a fish. I understand wanting more info so you can give helpful advice, but sometimes you just need to vent. As long as your venting isn't directed towards someone specific I don't see a problem with sharing your frustrations. I know I feel better about things after I've shared how I was feeling.

untamed
11-13-2008, 06:38 PM
Could be that Sphelps is feeling a bit touchy these days after getting jumped on about his filefish!

There is therapy in sharing your misery when something goes wrong. Nobody but us appreciates the loss. Try telling your boss that you are going to take a day off to deal with something urgently wrong with your fish tank...

sphelps
11-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to offend anyone. Just wanted more info so we could all help this guy out. I'll try and be a little more conservative next time :wink:

I think everyone needs to lighten up a little. But seriously I don't see what was so bad about it, I mean if I just post "WTF! my fish are dead" how is that useful??

sphelps
11-13-2008, 06:43 PM
Could be that Sphelps is feeling a bit touchy these days after getting jumped on about his filefish!

Tilefish actually :wink:
Well I am a pretty cruel person so that might have something to do with it :lol:

JDigital
11-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Try telling your boss that you are going to take a day off to deal with something urgently wrong with your fish tank...

It doesn't work. :wink: At least not for me.. haha

inkslinger
11-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Ya ok...all **** aside...i was venting at the time, now real interested in finding out what happened. I guess all i gotta break it all down to figure out where to start first...all seemed normal before lights out. All fish are dead ...is the water dead so to speak, do i start from very bottom or can i save the water and developed sandbed??? I have some zoas, about 30 or so different mushrooms...pumping xenia and some sps...hope to save them at least!

sphelps
11-13-2008, 09:27 PM
I would start by testing temperature and salinity although temperature at this point may not be accurate. So all fish dead? Coral still alive? Could be oxygen. What we need is details regarding your setup:
Tank size
Equipment
livestock
what you know so far for parameters
All that fun stuff.

Equipment failure or negligence is usually the cause if such an incident. The key here would be to figure out what happened, fix it and learn from it so it doesn't happen again not just starting over.

Phanman
11-13-2008, 09:31 PM
maybe check with your neighbors if the power went out for a couple hrs during the night....

naesco
11-14-2008, 12:07 AM
I agree with sphelps.
If you had a sudden total fish loss after simply adding a fish it is likely that for some reason the temperature got too high or too low.

If your tank is small and the oxygen level borderline, adding a tang, other than a small one would do it.
What was the water temperature when you discovered the loss?

Do you have critters in your tank that would set off toxins? Boxfish, sea apple etc.