PDA

View Full Version : Sigh....

rstar
11-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Anyone have any advice on getting rid of Zoa eating nudibranchs, it appears ive picked some up recently....

karazy
11-13-2008, 02:16 AM
those must be some huge nudibranches if they can eat an entire zoo.the poor giraffes :lol:

rstar
11-13-2008, 02:50 AM
the biggest one ive found is probably 4mm long, they attach to the side of the zoa and eat its tissue

TTT
11-13-2008, 03:41 AM
I am having the same problem right now. I watch my Zoa's very carefully everyday and as soon as I see my Zoa's closing up unexpectedly you can be sure there is a nudibranch close by. I take a suction such as a turkey baster and gently blow water on the Zoa's so they close up. Do not agitate them too hard because you might blow the nudibranch off. Once the Zoa's are closed up look for the nudibranch and then use your suction to remove the culprit. It's a good idea to turn off your water flow and powerheads before you do this because if you suck up the Nudibranch and it falls out of your turkey baster before get it out of the water than the current sends it flying and you eventually find it later after you loose another colony of Zoa's. This has happened to me. I just sucked off another 2 Nudi's this evening.

Hairytank
11-13-2008, 04:18 AM
I recently had Monti eating Nudis and used a 15 min dip in Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure (iodine) and lightly scrubbed the eggs off using a toothbrush and they have not come back...Obviously this is a little different type of Nudi, but I suspect that it would have the same effect on Zoa eating Nudis.

A quote for you:
"Very similar to the moni nudis as they pick up the color of the zoos as they eat. They lay eggs on the tissue of the column in a spiral pattern. Scrap them off with a toothbrush or tweezers as the clusters seem to stay together as you pull them off. You can dip for the adults fairly effectively, although at times they seem very resistant."
http://cmas-md.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-56605.html

One "natural" option that has been suggested is a wrasse as they eat Nudis Specifically the 6 line wrasse, coras and leopard, wrasse but again do more research as to what these fish are all about. The 6 line can be very aggressive, especially to other wrasse..

rstar
11-13-2008, 04:56 AM
I have a six line and i have a sneaking suspision he is eating the eggs out of the zoa which is a good thing, ive been picking off the adults with tweezers lately. Just a little disheartning because i hear these outbreaks can get really out of hand, why is it that only the bad critters reprodices easily in an aquarium...:sad:

rocketlily
11-13-2008, 03:34 PM
Could you post a picture of this nudibranch?

Whatigot
11-13-2008, 03:55 PM
pm therealbigal
He had a pretty serious nudibranch problem and got rid of them.
I'm pretty sure he just pulled the pieces out or used his kent want ad got them all on an individual basis....

lots of work, but you gotta love peace of mind.

A pic might not help, most zoa eating nudis will take on the color of the zoa colony they are eating....

Haloreef
11-13-2008, 04:34 PM
I fought the monti eating nudis for the better part of a year using the " suck and scrape" method. This seemed to hold them at bay , but never got rid of them. I had an out break of aptasia anems. and picked up a six pack of pepermint shrimp to take care of them. After the anems were gone they took care of the nudis. At least six months have gone by and no sighn of them.
I don't know for sure but this may work for you.
Keith.

Whatigot
11-13-2008, 04:49 PM
peps will often eat zoas.
so you might just wind up in the same boat.

although i suppose you can get rid of peps easy if need be.