PDA

View Full Version : clams

cwickham
11-12-2008, 03:47 PM
what do i need to dose if i add a clam to my tank? currently dont dose anything.

thanks
craig

Aquattro
11-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't add anything for mine, they seem fine, grow well, great color. I have 3 ranging from 1" to 5".

michika
11-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Depends on what your system is like now.

What kind of parameters do you have for; calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity? Clams arguably need all three in proper proportions to thrive. As well depending on the size and type of clam, you may need to supplement your clam with live food if its quite small.

What kind of clam or clams are you look into?

cwickham
11-12-2008, 03:53 PM
havent really looked into them much at all yet, i have never tested my caclium, magnesium or alkalinity, what should those values be for a healthy clam? are there certain types of clams that are easyer then others?

michika
11-12-2008, 04:02 PM
James Fatherhee, one of the big clam guys, recommends Ca 420ppm, and dKH of 7. I don't remember directly or not if he makes mention of magnesium. You can check out his book if you are really interested (http://www.liquid-medium.com/giantclams.htm).

Clams can be pretty basic. They are photosynthetic, and thus require a decent quality of light. Small clams though, probably under 2" require additional feeding help, as their matle isn't large enough to help generate the food they require. I've had small clams 1" or less that I didn't necessarily feed tough, so its not a hard and fast guideline. Some clams (squamosa, I think) can be kept under VHOs, however, I've never done it myself. If you want a nice "simple" clam, try a squamosa, or a maxima. Croceas are beautiful too, however they are little piggies when it comes to light. Gigas are stunning, and get quite large. Derasas are unique with their scutless shells. There are also other clams we don't frequently see in the hobby.

What kind of lighting to do you have now?

cwickham
11-12-2008, 04:04 PM
i have 150w MH, so i could put it under direct light, thanks for your help, i will research the ones you mentioned

fkshiu
11-12-2008, 04:13 PM
Mg, Alk and Ca should all be at the "standard" reef levels: ~1350, ~7-9 dKH, ~400-425, respectively. Phyto can be supplemented especially if the clams are small.

Derasas and squamosas are the easiest and also the least demanding in terms of light.

Croceas and maximas need a lot more light and are more delicate.

Gigas just get freakin' gigantic.

There's also a type of clam called a horsehoof clam (h. hippopus) that is available in the trade.

michika
11-12-2008, 04:34 PM
i have 150w MH, so i could put it under direct light, thanks for your help, i will research the ones you mentioned

Depending on how deep your tank is, you could probably keep all of the listed clams under that light.

Aquattro
11-12-2008, 04:57 PM
To qualify my comment, I mean I don't feed or add anything specific for the clam, all else being at "reef" levels. Even my little guy, who started at 1/2" was never fed directly.

mark
11-12-2008, 06:57 PM
As others have said you only need to dose for what you need to maintain NSW (http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php) and only way to successfully dose, is to test.

slakker
11-12-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm no expert, but have had great success adding phyto and sponge power from zeovit into my tank... I have 3 clams and a flame scallop... amazingly, the scallop is 9 months in my tank so far and is still doing great.

I also have 2x250W HQIs