PDA

View Full Version : Tank Questions

hummer
11-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Hey everyone,
I have an extra 77Gal saltwater tank sitting around for about 5-6 months now without water. I have 2 questions:
1. How long can a tank sit for without water and still be good to use without resiliconing?
2. Is it possible to convert this tank to freshwater after it's been used for saltwater? There is still a bit of coraline algae on the bottom of the tank.

Thanks for any input!

Aquattro
11-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Not sure how long, but 6 months is not too long. You'll be fine. And yes, you could convert to FW, although I'm not sure why anyone would do that!! :)
Use a razor blade to scrape the coraline off, it's not a biggie.

hummer
11-12-2008, 02:31 PM
And yes, you could convert to FW, although I'm not sure why anyone would do that!! :)

haha. It's actually not for me. I LOVE SW. I'm trying to sell my old tank. I have a friend who might be interested. So I'm just making sure his fish will be ok if he converts to FW.

superduperwesman
11-12-2008, 03:52 PM
A good friend would show him the light... and make him do SW :lol:

Trigger Man
11-12-2008, 04:44 PM
A good friend would show him the light... and make him do SW :lol:

Agreed, it would be unfair of you not to enlighten your friend of your knowledge about SW. After you "open his eyes" about SW your friend will believe you to be that more wise and all knowing.

Lance
11-12-2008, 05:15 PM
There is also the benefit of friendly frag-swapping.:biggrin:

Sam1969
11-14-2008, 02:39 AM
I may have been lucky but ..... I had a 90 gal sitting in my garage for 3 years empty ... I thought I would have to have it redone ... but when I filled it, it was fine not a single leak ...

hummer
11-14-2008, 06:59 PM
Does the bead of silicon along the inside of the tank serve any purpose in holding the tank together? Some of it has chipped off from cleaning.