PDA

View Full Version : Gobies in a Nano?

Josh23
11-12-2008, 02:11 AM
I have a 24 gallon nano cube, bare bottom at the moment as I don't like the look of dirty sand however I prefer the look of a clean sand to that of bare bottom. My question is if I add sand is there enough sand to support a gobie?

Currenlty the tank only holds a clown, damsel & dottyback.

Thoughts?

Floop70
11-12-2008, 02:30 AM
I've got a 25 gallon tank with an orange spotted goby. He sifts the sand and keeps it clean without any problems. He eats mysis, pellet food, homemade frozen food and pretty much anything I put in. Keep in mind that some gobies will carry the sand fairly high and end up dropping it all over the rock.

untamed
11-12-2008, 05:45 AM
I have 24sqft of sand area and I'm not certain that there is enough in the sand to sustain my two gobies. Fortunately, as Floop says...they do take a variety of other foods.

fishoholic
11-12-2008, 05:54 AM
I think if you can buy one that is eating other food like mysis or pellets then you should be fine. However if the goby is only living off of the sand, you would need a lot more sand then a 24g can hold.

Josh23
11-16-2008, 12:21 AM
Thanks guys...

Can anyone recomend a few species that will stay in the 2" length, sand sift?

noirsphynx
11-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks guys...

Can anyone recomend a few species that will stay in the 2" length, sand sift?

the twinspot only gets to about 3" and is a sandsifter

Josh23
11-17-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah I was kind of leaning towards the twin spot... has anyone seen one around Calgary?

naesco
11-18-2008, 03:14 AM
I have a 24 gallon nano cube, bare bottom at the moment as I don't like the look of dirty sand however I prefer the look of a clean sand to that of bare bottom. My question is if I add sand is there enough sand to support a gobie?

Currenlty the tank only holds a clown, damsel & dottyback.

Thoughts?

The problem you have is the dottyback is really aggressive and you do not have a working sand bed. The purpose of the sand bed is to cultivate all the critters (and it takes a few months) that the gobies like to eat.
They are shy eaters and the fish will eat all the food before it gets to the bottom unless you go to the trouble of target feeding it.
The twin spot's meal is filament algae and is tough to keep alive.
One of the clown gobies would look good together with any other goby that is not a bottom feeder.
see www.wetwebmedia.com

ElGuappo
11-18-2008, 03:49 AM
noticed randles and hectors will sift a little. my hectors didnt last long but noticed he liked sifting . i have seen hectors sifting in petshops.

lorenz0
11-18-2008, 03:50 AM
i have a yellow watchmans in my 10 and he is happy. creeps on me all the time. but he is moving into the 60gal once it is up and running

Josh23
11-18-2008, 06:36 PM
I added sand this past week and will allow it to generate life over the next couple months if need be. I'm also willing to target feed. I would prefer a sand sifter goby to ensure the sandbed remains clean.

Do clown gobies sand sift? I don't recall.

If not then what should I look for?

naesco
11-19-2008, 02:32 AM
I keep two. No they sit in coral heads near the top of the tank. They aggressively eat mysis when feed.
They are a very endearing fish to keep. They are so interesting to watch and are very active.

Because the fish is very small they suffer from shipment and are often emaciated in the lfs so see them eat there and feed it often immediately when you place it in your tank so it builds itself up.
Let your sand bed mature with all sorts of critters and than add a bottom dwelling goby.

Pan
11-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Yeah I was kind of leaning towards the twin spot... has anyone seen one around Calgary?
Oceans

Josh23
11-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Thanks guys but I'm really looking for a sand sifting fish, goby or jawfish to keep my sand bed clean. Any other suggestions.

Josh23
11-19-2008, 04:00 AM
what about an orange spotted goby, or is 24 gallons to small?