PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Catch fish in overflow

jus68
11-11-2008, 07:58 AM
One of my clownfish jumped into the overflow. Any idea how to lure it and so I can catch it? The overflow doesn't have much room for nets... stupid fish...

Appreciate all help and ideas..

X-Treme
11-11-2008, 01:31 PM
How do you know he didn't WANT to be in there? If that's the case, I'd call him a SMART fish, not a stuipd one...:mrgreen:

fishoholic
11-11-2008, 01:52 PM
How big is your overflow? I would think a very small net (LFS sell about 1-2" nets) would probably fit down one. You could also try scooping him out with a plastic serving spoon.

mark
11-11-2008, 02:16 PM
My overflows are tight to but I can pull the standpipes out of the bulkheads. If I'm lucky the fish is flushed to the sump, if not I'm chasing with a small net and even just with the couple of inches of water remaining, still a pain.

sphelps
11-11-2008, 02:53 PM
I usually clog up the standpipe for a few seconds until the tank it just about to overflow then pull out the standpipe, this usually flushes them into the sump where I have a net waiting at the input.

I discovered that trick when I was in a similar situation but with a ribbon eel and a really small overflow, you could get the smallest net in their but you can't use it to catch an 2' eel :lol:

naesco
11-11-2008, 03:30 PM
You can also use 2 of the tiny nets.
You need to bend the net so that the net is flush with the glass and you slowly bring up the net along the glass with the fish in it. Got it

jus68
11-11-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks for all the ideas.. actually the little dude jumped back out.. guess he's not so stupid after all..