PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Ear Mushroom = Fish Killer???

Carmen
11-11-2008, 03:46 AM
I purchased this Giant Mushroom from a fellow reefer. He was not sure exactly what this mushroom was and it was sold to him as a Giant Creeping Mushroom. I believe it is actually an Elephant Ear Mushroom of some type and have read that they have a potential to capture and kill fish. Anyone have any experiences with this variety? Should I be worried about my fish??
This mushroom is atleast 10 inches long with 5 mouths and a green blue color.
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/CoralNov019.jpg
http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r474/ctash_album/CoralNov043.jpg

dsaundry
11-11-2008, 04:08 AM
Yes you should be very concerned, You must pack up your Copperbanded Butterfly and send him to me immediately....:lol:

Just kidding...There isnt a ton of info that I can find on these giant mushrooms, I cant imagine it eating a healthy fish..but if in doubt, send it back...

Chaloupa
11-11-2008, 04:18 AM
I have them in my RSM with tiny fish; Eviota gobies, Trimma gobies, Yellow Clown Goby etc...they perch on it, and it's just fine.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-11-2008, 05:04 AM
I've had one big Rhodactis mushroom that closed up & killed my Mandarin goby that was too stupid to move off it as it slowly closed over the fish. I saw the fish sit on it, then I went back to work. Next I saw that the mushroom was closed up & it slowly opened to reveal a dead, but uneaten fish.

GreenSpottedPuffer
11-11-2008, 05:25 AM
Once they get big enough, yes they can and will eat fish. Mine ate about a quarter of a clown :( And it was smaller than yours. It kind of just released the rest of it.

That was a few years back and I have never kept those mushrooms since.

MikeP
11-11-2008, 05:35 AM
I've seen pictures of mushrooms eating fish. I'm no marine biologist but I'm pretty sure mushrooms are in the same family as anemones. I wouldn't want a threat like that in a tank your size. I'm actually pretty sure my carpet anemone has caught a fish or two in my tank :( You might want to sell it or trade at a LFS.

KennyKen
11-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Oh boy,
Sorry Carmen, i didnt know i was selling you a killer.

Though i think all your wrasses are to quick and nimble to get picked off by it.

Sure is pretty though with actinics though,:biggrin:

justinl
11-11-2008, 07:08 AM
from what Ive seen mostly perching benthic fish like gobies and mandarins are still enough to get caught. Ive seen a clown get caught too. Yes they are related to anemones to a degree but these guys rely more on slowly closing and trapping a fish rather than stinging it to death as an anemone does. I too can't say I see it picking off a wrasse or CBB, but no guarantees.

sure is a nice piece. if you get rid of it, be sure it goes to a decent well-suited home.

Chaloupa
11-11-2008, 07:31 AM
My false percs hosted in it when it was in their tank...strange it's been in 3 different tanks with slow moving, small, fast and large fishes with no problems...weird. I really like mine and it's done well....

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-11-2008, 08:37 AM
Ok, after taking a closer look at your shroom, it looks very similar to the ones I have in my tank & those I've never seen try to eat any fish. They are long and narrow, whereas the fish eater ones are round. That means, to me, that its sides are not very wide & it would be much more difficult to close up completely over a fish. Beautiful coral.

Carmen
11-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Wow, I have a mixed review then on these guys hey?! I would hate to get rid of it because it's HUGE and has areally nice color to it. Sorta russian roulette abit then???
The research I have been seeing online seems to suggest the "Rounder, Hairier" Mushrroms are more apt to kill/catch a fish, I wonder if this one is not as likely like Seahorse Fanatic says?
And Funny Chaloupa - I LOVE my Butterfly (A teeny tiny bit more than my Elephant Ear so unfortunately I'd be packing you up the coral before the fish!):lol::lol:

Thanks for your opinions, any others are much appreciated!
Carmen

tang daddy
11-11-2008, 04:04 PM
I have the same mushroom in my tank actually got a frag from seahorse fanatic about 2 years ago and I can definately confirm that it doesn't eat fish. Mine has problems eating mysis even when there's no flow in my tank if a fish was already dead stuck on the mushroom I don't even think it would get eaten, btw nice size for your mushroom there!!

parkinsn
11-11-2008, 04:47 PM
I had a Elephant Ear, had is the key word here. It was about 5-6" across and it downed 2 perc's that hosted in it, I thought they just died but i saw it re-gergitate 1 of the fish when it was done eating it... Then it proceeded to eat a 3" fox face (i saw that happen, its was pretty cool for what it was) i tryed to save the fox face but the Elephant Ear had released the toxin and it was to late for the both of them.

SeaHorse_Fanatic
11-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Having kept both:

I think the ones that kill fish are single mouth large, round, slightly "hairy" elephant ear Rhodactis.

This type is the long, elongated multiple mouth Rhodactis (not an elephant ear) which I've never seen even try to close up over anything. Each mouth is smaller than in true Elephant Ears.

Both are Rhodactis, but only the true elephant ear is a killer IMHO & IME.

Yours is NOT an Elephant ear, simply a type of Rhodactis.

Carmen
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Having kept both:

I think the ones that kill fish are single mouth large, round, slightly "hairy" elephant ear Rhodactis.

This type is the long, elongated multiple mouth Rhodactis (not an elephant ear) which I've never seen even try to close up over anything.

Both are Rhodactis, but only the true elephant ear is a killer IMHO & IME.

Thank You SeaHorse Fanatic. This is what I was hoping to hear! I am going to keep it for now - hoping that you are infact right! Perhaps it will work out in my favour but it is a really incredible pice that I would hope to give up based on wrong information. I too believe it is the hairier variety that "eat" fish (Could be me just looking for someone to tell me it's OKAY to keep it though).

"I had a Elephant Ear, had is the key word here. It was about 5-6" across and it downed 2 perc's that hosted in it, I thought they just died but i saw it re-gergitate 1 of the fish when it was done eating it... Then it proceeded to eat a 3" fox face (i saw that happen, its was pretty cool for what it was) i tryed to save the fox face but the Elephant Ear had released the toxin and it was to late for the both of them.
Parkinsn is this above post based on the "hairy variety"?

Thanks guys.

FitoPharmer
11-12-2008, 12:38 AM
my friend has a large elephant ear in his tank and clowns host in it. half the time it looks like a fish bowl. i'm amazed it hasn't eaten the clowns yet, but they might know what the mushroom is trying and escape just in time. but he cant keep any cardinal fish, i was told and read this was their favorite kind of fish to eat.