PDA

View Full Version : 2" overflow plumbing

Trigs
11-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey so i just picked up a new tank and it has a built in center overflow and usually im used to dealing with a 1 or 1.5 inch overflow but this has a 2" i am wondering why? and if this will be alright? what are some thoughts?

mike31154
11-08-2008, 03:11 PM
I'll hazard a guess.... bigger is better? You can always regulate the flow with either a gate or ball valve, no? You may also get reducing adapters if you wish to downsize the plumbing, and/or branch it off with tees etc. I figure it gives you more options/flexibility in your plumbing.

mark
11-08-2008, 04:34 PM
I had my 145g display made with 2 - 2" drains and a 2" feeding my CL pump. Do have some gurgling from the drains in the basement sump but do have to say my Dursos upstairs are silent when running 1000gph and even up to 2000gph.

Trigs
11-08-2008, 05:42 PM
what would be the best thing to do then? i need to get it as silent as i can... run a 2" durso from it?

sphelps
11-08-2008, 06:36 PM
You should really try and match your overflow to your return flow. Well too bigger is better than too small if the plumbing is too big it will be nosier. Unless your'e running a large return pump I would simply get a new 1.5" bulkhead that fits in the same hole. The bulkheads I use require the same hole for both 1.5" and 2". Or you could install bushings in the bulkhead to reduce the size.

This way you'll also be more familiar with the plumbing, and your standpipe won't take up as much space in the overflow and it should run quieter.