PDA

View Full Version : Bio-Cube problem

CodeBlue
11-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Having a problem with a BC14 I have. Fish keep getting sucked in the lower intake grate. I have tried putting some open celled foam (used in the largest aquaclear). But now its disrupted the the flow too much and its spilling over the entire divider.

Any suggestions i should try next, besides getting larger fish?:question:

kipsix
11-08-2008, 01:42 AM
How small are your fish?!

What about a mesh? like from a screen window?

I had small fish in my BC14 and never had one get sucked up. If they can swim through the opening they should be able to swim out too, maybe they're just exploring? :biggrin:

Marlin65
11-08-2008, 05:33 AM
I had a yellow goby pack it in that way.
You could try to put some sort of a small basket/cage over it.
Only thing I can think of.

slakker
11-08-2008, 05:55 AM
are u using the filter screen? If you chuck that, there's likely not enough suction in the lower grate to pull healthy fish in.

Rippin
11-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Use the screen mesh as suggested, but you'll eventually have to remove it to clean it once in a while.
The flow through the lower intake is VERY low, the upper intake is stronger. I would think that the fish would be able to avoid it. What type of fish do you have in there? Trimma or Panda gobies?

CodeBlue
11-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I have 2 BC 14's. This one is my FW set up, so small fry, pygmy cories, etc. I ended up using some open celled foam cut thin, and zip tied it to the outside of the vent. So far everything is just fine.
I don't get why they make the cartridges so long, when only 1 1/4" is exposed.
None the less, i'll be ditching it and the bio-balls and going with live rock rubble and filter floss.

dabandit
11-13-2008, 11:46 PM
ahhh the bio cube a turn key saltwater tank....or so they would have you believe. You even look at those wrong and they go haywire,try to adapt it and your in even bigger trouble. Some advice to people thinking about buying one,take your money and have the glass cut to make your own pimpin 14gal complete with overflows big enough and adaptable enough to run various equpiment. For the same price you can build or buy an eqivalent tank and some proper equipment to run it.....thats my own personal opinion anyway ,goodluck with the intake problem.

dabandit
11-13-2008, 11:48 PM
P.S do not use the bio balls,replace with live rock

slakker
11-14-2008, 12:32 AM
I actually quite like my BC14... I also have a BC8 primarily for my suncorals... easier to feed. I experiemented with using the "stock system" for the BC8, but eventually yanked out the foam and filter. Left all the Bio Balls and it's actually doing a great job.

The BC14, I yanked everything out and didn't even put in any LR in place of... It's quite the detritus trap either way...

gbeef
11-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah i like the Biocube Ive had my fair share of problems like my fan going or my ballast blowing. But i knew that when purchasing what i was getting into. The reason i like the biocube. Is presentation, its nice to have everything in one tank no cords or equipment hanging all over the place, and its not a living room eyesore.

CodeBlue
11-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Yeah i like the Biocube Ive had my fair share of problems like my fan going or my ballast blowing. But i knew that when purchasing what i was getting into. The reason i like the biocube. Is presentation, its nice to have everything in one tank no cords or equipment hanging all over the place, and its not a living room eyesore.

Definently agree with you on that. Luckily i got mine for $149, so i don't feel so bad. So far, nothing has gone wrong, and i haven't had to modify it significantly in any way. That will probably change in time. Still a cool product thats made very generalized, yet adaptable.

I'll try to get some pics of my 2 tanks. I have them side-by-side so its quite the visual piece in the livingroom.

slakker
11-15-2008, 01:53 AM
I've modded my 14 with a Nanocustom add on for another lamp... increases the light output quite nicely... and I too like how clean everything is...