PDA

View Full Version : Hex. tank advice...

TANGOMAN
04-29-2003, 04:28 PM
I'm considering a hexagonal tank in the distant future and I'm unsure of what an effective overflow design and sump arrangement would be.
I use the "Durso" style standpipe on my current tanks. This probably wouldn't be a great arrangement given the space lilitations of a hexagonal shape. I wouldn't consider an overflow box. What are your thoughts on the "ultimate in quiet" overflow using a drilled arrangement.
And how about a sump. Obviously it wouldn't be very large. A smaller hex. tank...? $$$ Custom made "square" tank ? I would want enough space for the pump, heater, top-up float valve, and a small skimmer, yes Bob, I said a skimmer... :wink: Perhaps a CPR bak pac ?
I appreciate your thoughts on this...

Delphinus
04-29-2003, 04:45 PM
How about a custom tank that had the main display as a hexagonal, but the one back panel extended so that you're overflow was behind one of the hex panes?

Otherwise I guess you're looking at a "symmetrical hexagonal outside" but a "asymmetrical hexagonal inside." Which wouldn't be so bad of course but you'd probably want to keep it somewhat on the large side so that you're not limited on your breadth (front-to-back) dimension.

Just thinking out loud of course .... seems to me there are possibilities.

Glampyre
04-29-2003, 05:08 PM
Are you dead set on an overflow? I know they're not as clean looking, but with the hex tanks that are available at most LSF you can make hang on skimmers and canisters work. I've got a 45 gal octogon with a CPR and Marineland canister for my Volitan and have never had problems with water quality. Just a thought.

TANGOMAN
04-29-2003, 05:32 PM
Dead set on an overflow...? No, not really. It is a preferance I suppose. Some form of "evolution" perhaps ? Concealment is the big attraction in addition to "surface skimming". Micro-bubbles from a skimmer output are also a concern. I'm considering a "Seahorse" tank. (bubbles are detrimental ?).
Tony, aren't you supposed to be working ? I thought we had this discussion before...? Custom made you say ? Hmmm. That symmetry terminology has me kinda' confused. Can I visualize your theory as a "keyhole" shape...? :confused: . I do like that thought but that would bring the tank and cabinet further from the wall than I'd like. God forbid I would allow aquariums to encroach my habitat...before ya' know it, they'd dictate what I do with my spare time and eventually they'd consume all of my disposable income...