PDA

View Full Version : Considering switching a 75 G FW to FO or FOWLR

trilinearmipmap
11-06-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a 75 gallon planted tank that has been more headache than it is worth the past 6 or 7 years.

I have considered switching it to a fish-only, or a FOWLR system. It is in my formal living room, I want something that will look good but not be much trouble and time to maintain.

Current tank specs are 48" long 75 gallon non-drilled tank, Eheim canister filtration, 4 x 55-watt CF lighting.

Most of the fish that appeal to me for FOWLR seem to need a larger tank than 75 gallons: Tangs, Angelfish, longhorned cowfish, triggers, etc.

I also don't want to spend too much, I've thought about getting a Lifereef overflow and putting a Bubble Magus in the sump, or else keeping the canister filter and adding a sulfur denitrator. Alternatively picking up a used Tunze in-tank skimmer or Deltec hang-on skimmer and going sumpless. Also considered getting some soft corals with the current lighting. Overall a budget of $1000.00 to change this tank to FO or FOWLR.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, including what fish would be appropriate for this tank, any experience with sulfur denitrators, etc. I have done reef for something like 5 years but never FOWLR or FO.

JDigital
11-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I was under the impression that FW conversions needed some type of special "treatment" if they have been dosed with copper, before starting a SW tank... not sure if that's true or not... Someone confirm?

You could probably get away with a good HOB Deltec skimmer and skip the hassle (risk) of a HOB overflow.

trilinearmipmap
11-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Never dosed copper.

Anyway I think the copper issue is more if you are planning a reef tank, not a FOWLR.

Phanman
11-06-2008, 07:56 PM
From my understanding once copper has been used in the tank it pretty much cant be used for a salt water tank. You would need to remove all the silicone between all the panels and then reassemble with new silicone as the copper probably leeched into the silicone.