PDA

View Full Version : Where can I get some mangroves?

newgeek
04-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Hello everyone,
Does anyone know where I can find mangroves in the city or are they a mail order item?.
Thanks a bunch,
Kelly

Canadian Man
04-28-2003, 09:30 PM
Well, most of us that have some got them from a fellow named Evan here on the board in Calgary.. I have no clue where he ordered them from but they were cheep.

I have seen some at big al's and wai's at some point but they were about 6 times the price that we got them for.

monza
04-29-2003, 12:20 AM
Wai's does have them now.

dave

Canadian Man
04-29-2003, 12:26 AM
Wai's does have them now.

dave

How much? :eek: I don't know if I should dare ask :eek:

EmilyB
04-29-2003, 12:49 AM
I just saw Evan's the other day, and they are doing awesome. :exclaim: I now have several places to keep them, and wouldn't mind a few either.

Maybe Evan will enlighten us into his adventures finding/importing these ?

I know J&L has had them in the past at a decent price, but you are looking at the shipping.

eposer
04-29-2003, 01:41 AM
I'm actually already working on getting another order of mangroves in since the last time I didn't keep nearly as meany as I would have liked to.

How many mangroves would people be interested in getting?
If you can all let me know how many you'd like(no commitment, just how many you'd be interested in) then I can decide how large of an order to place later this week. I still need to see what is available this time of the year.

Evan. :biggrin:

EmilyB
04-29-2003, 01:45 AM
You can probably put me down for a dozen Evan. :cool:

newgeek
04-29-2003, 03:03 AM
I would be interested in about 6, how much are they?. Thanks Evan
Kelly

kari
04-29-2003, 04:39 AM
Evan;
I would be interested in 6 please

Emily;
It's probably not a good idea to ask. Maybe they are from somewhere like Cuba, and if we find out we might have to be killed. :eek:

Kari

monza
04-29-2003, 05:57 AM
Depending on price I'd be interested in three or four.
Thanks
Dave

Delphinus
04-29-2003, 02:56 PM
I'd take another 2 or 3 ..... mmmmaybe 4. Of the 5 I bought, 3 are doing well, one didn't make it, and one is completely dormant. But as long as it doesn't turn mushy I won't give up on it. :smile:

Very slow to grow under 15W of NO though. Sunlight is the way to go. I have awesome roots but the leaves are only just starting to crack through. I've heard rumours that others already have their leaves .... :mrgreen:

Canadian Man
04-29-2003, 03:04 PM
I would take a few more from you Evan. 6 ish

eposer
04-29-2003, 04:44 PM
I'm placing the order this afternoon.
The price should be about the same as last time, possibly less, I'll let you all know once they're here and I can work in the shipping etc...

Fingers crossed it won't take as long as last time :confused:

Evan.

rossb
04-29-2003, 06:57 PM
Evan I would be in for 6 also

kari
04-30-2003, 03:58 AM
Hey Tony;

I read somewhere (I forget where, dah), the object with mangroves is to grow roots and keep the leaves pruned down to just a few. Though I'm not sure what the benifit of pruning so much is.

Kari

Canadian Man
04-30-2003, 04:21 AM
Hey Tony;

I read somewhere (I forget where, dah), the object with mangroves is to grow roots and keep the leaves pruned down to just a few. Though I'm not sure what the benifit of pruning so much is.

Kari

Well usually pruning a plant forces it to concentrate much of it's growth to new growth. Therefore sucking up more nutrients :rolleyes: No I do not have a degree in plant's. Just a guess

Delphinus
04-30-2003, 02:55 PM
It seems to me that if the object is to use them as a means of nutrient export then there are all sort of rules to follow.. also, pruning becomes suggestive of a means of "nutrient export" as opposed to "nutrient sink." Only speaking for myself, I'm not looking to these for anything other than the novelty factor. I think mangroves are as nice a shrub/small tree as, say, an arboricola or a ficus, it's just that they're tolerant of saltwater. So I'm content to let mine grow leaves, when the time comes. I'm just looking for a mangrove for the point of a mangrove. I think a mangrove habitat would be a really neat aquarium project. BTW Anthony Calfo's book has some neat suggestions for mangrove habitats.

Right now I just have mine floating in the styrofoam pad... only about 1" or 2" submerged I'd say. The leaves are coming, albeit slowly (more evidence of them cracking through). But the roots that they have are pretty impressive (well ... I think so anyways..). The 3 that I have that are active, have some roots up to 6" I think and each of them easily have half a dozen or so individual roots. Only one of the five I purchased turned brown and mushy ... there is another that is doing nothing, neither growing roots nor turning brown or mushy. I have that one completely submerged for now. The other 3 are doing just fine it seems. Eventually I was thinking of constructing some kind of dedicated display for them (once there is something to display, of course). We'll see how that goes ....

:smile:

eposer
05-02-2003, 10:35 PM
I'm still shopping around for the best price and availability. It looks like it might be difficult to get un-germinated propagules untill the fall so I am looking into rooted plants with leaves. They will be only slightly more expensive but will give us a years head start on growth. Hopefully I'll have them here in the next week or two at the latest.

Evan.

eposer
05-09-2003, 08:21 PM
The mangroves are here. :biggrin:

PM me for details if I have not sent you a PM already.

Evan.

EmilyB
05-10-2003, 08:15 PM
These things are awesome....thanks again Evan :biggrin:

Buccaneer
05-12-2003, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the mangrove (1) Evan ... did not actually plan on getting one originally but could not resist once I got there ... the frags are doing good too btw ... will be calling regarding those other 2 frags we talked about if they are still available

Cheers