PDA

View Full Version : Styrofoam help

Slick Fork
11-05-2008, 11:50 PM
Hi there,

I've got a new 110 gallon tank coming, it's foot print is going to be 24"X48". I have been having zero luck finding 1/2" styrofoam that's in a 4x8 sheet. I've tried Rona, Home Depot, Co-Op, Home hardware.... everybody has 1" stuff but that seems to thick to me. Everybody also has it in a 2'x8' sheet but I have a couple of maybe just mental issues with that. I would like to have a half inch of "wiggle room" all around the tank so I'm kind of frowning on a single 2x4 piece. Would I be ok to use 2 pieces to get the coverage I want on the stand? Or has anybody seen any 4x8 sheets in central alberta?

Thanks

spoot
11-06-2008, 12:37 AM
Which kind of styrofoam were you thinking about? The blue/pink rigid foam insulation sheets aren't much use as they tank does not have enough weight to compress it. I use double layer of high density laminate flooring underlay which is much softer and will actually compress to help level the tank.

If you must use the rigid stuff though, I've used 2 separate sheets on my 75 for 2 years now without a problem. Just try to make sure the gap between the sheets is minimal.

toxic111
11-06-2008, 02:20 AM
If you go with beadboard you might be able to find 4'x8' sheets.. the 'sm' and celfort stuff is only made in 2'x8' sheets (if I remember correctly)