PDA

View Full Version : Live Rock

whiteangelbw
11-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Ok, I'm new to the hobby and just thinking about setting up a 60 gal. and have a question. A friend of mine has some live rock the he says i can have, but it has been out of water for a couple of months now, is this any good, will it come back and should i supplement it with new live rock. Help Please.

Norstar
11-05-2008, 02:43 PM
If it's been out of water, it can no longer be considered as live rock. Save your money and get some fresh rock.

ponokareefer
11-05-2008, 02:53 PM
The rock will most likely be "dead" now, but if you put it into a tank with other "live" rock, it will become "live" again over time. If your buddy is giving it to you, I'd take it and supplement it with other "live" rock, and you should be good. Make sure you wash it out thoroughly before putting it into your system, or all the dead critters in the rock will add a lot of unwanted nitrites/nitrates/ammonia into your system.

argan
11-05-2008, 10:26 PM
if its free, i would take it, then buy some rock from the pet store to "seed" the good bacteria

whiteangelbw
11-06-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks everyone, I guess I will take it and buy some live rock to put in with it. Thanks for the help. Will probably be asking more questions. Have read alot on this site and its been very helpful.
Angela