PDA

View Full Version : Who's Using Dolomite Sand??

AJ_77
03-06-2002, 10:04 PM
(How Dense: there are already threads dealing extensively with this topic. My apologies - I'll search first next time. :rolleyes: ) - AJ

Greetings to All:

Great to be here! (A Canadian Board!! Who knew?)

I've been following the various posts regarding the trials and tribulations in getting aragonite sand in any form. I've also tried to source some out, but even when available, the cost is still prohibitive for a 5" DSB at 250 lbs.

After some research, and inviting anyone at swf.com to dissuade me, I'm thinking $5 per 50 lb of #200 dolomite sand may be the way to go. They call it sugar-size.

Any dissenters here? I'm open to the voices of experience...

AJ

[ 07 March 2002, 16:36: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Seaquest
03-07-2002, 12:28 AM
[ 06 March 2002, 20:38: Message edited by: Seaquest ]

Seaquest
03-07-2002, 12:32 AM
Hi

I'm not to sure about that stuff as I have never tried it myself, but welcome to the board its all Canadian AAAAAAAAAAAAA. smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

Cheers

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure that you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Mak
03-07-2002, 01:05 AM
SEAQUEST, My head hurts after reading that!!!lol

StirCrazy
03-07-2002, 01:33 AM
AJ_77
I looked into doing this extensivly against advice of others.. there is a huge post or two on it if you do a search on dolomite.
here's one
dolomite (http://www.canreef.com/ubb6/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000365)

I did several tests and the one that convinced me NOT to use it in my tank was how it became hard after a couple weeks in water. not hard like a rock but hard like a thick stickey mud. the sugar sand I was testing against remained fluid and would fill in a hole if you stuck your finger in it whare the dolomite woulden't.

it had the consistancy of a clay type mud. weather this is bad or not I don't know but it is not the property I was looking for im my tank so I have decided to spend the bucks and go with sugarsand. now having said that I wonder if it would be good for the "Mud" in a ekoystem (sp) :D :D

Steve

[ 06 March 2002, 21:38: Message edited by: StirCrazy ]

AJ_77
03-07-2002, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the help - one more Q.

What about using a DSB with 4" dolomite, 1" dry aragamax, and then 1" LS? Workable?

Again, with thanks,

AJ

reefburnaby
03-07-2002, 09:12 PM
Hi,

I use domolite for about 6 months now....seems fine.

I won't recommended unless you are short in cash or you like to experiment with fire. If all the facts are known and you understand the risks and precautions that were taken, then domolite isn't so bad.

Sandblasting sand is another alternative and much safer.

- Victor.

AJ_77
03-07-2002, 10:55 PM
Victor:
You seem to be the leading proponent of this stuff... How did you prepeare it for use?

Rinsed a few times? Strained? When I used the dolomite gravel years ago, it seemed to rinse forever.

AJ

P.S. How do worms and other sand bed inhabitants do in yours? OK? Do they disturb it enough, or is the clay-like attribute that some mention a detriment to their activities?

Again, thanks.

[ 07 March 2002, 21:45: Message edited by: AJ_77 ]

Tau2301
03-07-2002, 11:22 PM
I believe that Dr. Ron Shimek says that substrate particles should lean towards the silt size which would make the DSB more like clay.

reefburnaby
03-08-2002, 01:26 AM
Hi,

I would get a magnet and run it through the stuff. I would also phone up the manufacturer and ask them for a composition analysis. If it looks like it is mostly domolite, then it should be fine. Read through the big thread and I think I described most of these things in the thread.

You don't need to wash or anything....you want the fine particles anyway.

- Victor.

AJ_77
03-10-2002, 08:50 PM
OK, here is another point from a Calgary thread:

"If you reside in Calgary, and use the local water as I do, there is no need to use aragonite. Our water is high in pH, and Calcium Carbonate (not to mention the Magnesium). Using just plain old silica sand for your DSB is perfectly acceptable, and very inexpensive. Please don't use the leaching of silicates urban legend. The only problem is the brown color. The tank will look dull. I have done what I mentioned, and had no problems at all."

The question NOW is: Okay to use Dolomite sand with Calgary water? It seems in this case one would apply the same cautions (magnesium levels, etc) - only more stringently.

OR again, MIX IT UP: Dolomite underneath, with an inch or more of Aragamax over top, and hopefully some live sand topmost.

AJ