PDA

View Full Version : shutup

karazy
11-03-2008, 11:18 PM
ok, so as i keep getting ever so close to plumbing, I'm just wondering, how do you make some sort of contraption to keep a drilled tank quite?(drilled in the back, not the bottom) i was thinking like a durso or some other online things ive seen for HOB overflow boxes but just on an elbow. also, how much splashing noise does the water going from the tank into the sump make, and how do you make it less noisy?

I'm trying to make my tank as quiet as humanly possible since it will be in my room.

Matt
11-03-2008, 11:43 PM
I wrote a reply, but then edited it, because of questions in my own mind. How many drains? What size, what flow? Do you have an external overflow? How big, deep?

mark
11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Since you haven't added water now's your chance to consider a Herbie. Just needs one extra drain compared to Durso, Stockman etc. and since Herbie doesn't draw air, no gurgling or splashing in the sump.

I've heard or rather didn't two high flow setups (one 1900gph other 2000g) and loudest thing was the return pump, nothing from the plumbing. Where you might get some noise is the drop from the overflow lip into the chamber but can adjust standpipe to get that though.

fishytime
11-04-2008, 12:40 AM
"Herbie" is silent.

slakker
11-04-2008, 03:18 AM
I think avoiding 90 elbows in favour of 2x45 helps minimize noise especially in the vertical runs. I made my own durso style and being able to adjust the height of it helps as well...

karazy
11-04-2008, 03:42 AM
ok, my plumbing will probably be 1" so about 300gph i estimate.

and i will look into this herbie. thanks for the replies

fishytime
11-04-2008, 03:49 AM
Have a look at the first couple pages of my thread in the journal section. Lots of pics and if there is some thing else you need to see let me know. One thing is you will need another hole to do a herbie style overflow.

karazy
11-04-2008, 04:03 AM
so do you have to have the bottom of your tank drilled to have a herbie?

also, i get how a herbie would save you from overflowing, but im not exactly sure how it keeps things quieter

superduperwesman
11-04-2008, 04:59 AM
I'm not entirely sure what a herbie is??? But I just go with two drains.... on with a gate valve and one as a back up.

I kept the gate valve low, close to the sump, and adjusted it to match the in flow so the pipes are entirely void of air and then I had no water noise. Because the restricted drain is submerged so it is sucking absolutely no air. As the lines get nasty you have to occasionally adjust the gate valve but you'll know when you need to because you'll hear water going down the other drain

*Edit: ok that was a terrible explanation... yeah just go look at his journal^ same deal.... you wont hear anything but the pump

JDigital
11-05-2008, 06:04 PM
so do you have to have the bottom of your tank drilled to have a herbie?

no you won't need to drill the bottom. You can have a look at my 10G contest tank, and see my half overflow... I am running a herbie on it.

outtafocus
11-05-2008, 11:12 PM
Any one have a diagram of a "herbie"? I haven't of this and I am interested.

karazy
11-05-2008, 11:31 PM
ok, so basically what im getting is that you make 2 holes, and connect PVC to one and then some sort of flex tube or more PVC, and make sure one elbow or whatever you use is above the water line for emergency use, and you put a gate valve on the PVC and adjust it until there is no sound

mark
11-06-2008, 01:02 AM
Simply, a Herbie is nothing more than two standpipes in a overflow chamber, one higher (secondary or emergency) than the other and the lower one (primary) having a valve on the drain line just above the sump.

The valve is closed until the water flowing into the primary is over the top of the standpipe and not drawing air. The secondary is higher than this water level and is normally dry. Purpose of the secondary is since the primary is already restricted and backing up water, if the was to become more blocked it would overflow the tank, the secondary prevents this. Often the primary drain output is a little below the water level in the sump, the secondary just above. If you start hearing water splashing from the secondary, it indicates the primary needs to adjusted or has gotten a blockage. Combined with a ATO they are set and forget though.

The huge RC Herbie thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=344892&perpage=25&pagenumber=1)

Also check out Reefjunkie non-traditional Herbie layout here
(http://216.187.96.54/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45862)

karazy
11-06-2008, 01:26 AM
okay, kool!
i think i will do almost exactly what reefjunkie did, just a little different plumbing near the bottom because my sump hangs out the back of my stand

mark
11-06-2008, 03:07 AM
I know for sure that the Herbies where the standpipes are on the bottom work and see no reason why having the drains on the sides in a short overflow chamber wouldn't work but might contact reefjunkie, and after seeing JDigital build, him for feedback.