PDA

View Full Version : frogspawn problem. please help

fishguy007
11-02-2008, 07:41 PM
my frogspawn are not really opening to their fullest. what could be causing this.

also noted a bump like a volcano and like a feather duster coming in and out. does anyone know what this could be or help as to why they are not opening.

i attached a picture.

Der_Iron_Chef
11-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Is it in an area of high flow? If so, move it to an area of lower flow.

silverplanet
11-02-2008, 07:50 PM
couple questions.

are the frogspawn new to your tank?
what lighting do you have?
how much flow are they under?
have they been getting worse since you had them, or are any of the tentacles coming off?

Jason

Aquatic Addictions
11-02-2008, 09:07 PM
my frogspawn are not really opening to their fullest. what could be causing this.

also noted a bump like a volcano and like a feather duster coming in and out. does anyone know what this could be or help as to why they are not opening.

i attached a picture.

The " bump like a volcano" is a Barnacle.....
as for the opening it could be a variety of issues
-water quality
-flow
-intensity of light
Let us know the above answers and maybe we can try and help out. :biggrin:

fishguy007
11-02-2008, 09:41 PM
i have a 32 gallon tank.
1 have 2 - 65 watts power compact fixtures for lighting.

and then some of the moon glow lights.

i was told that this lighting was the best for that tank.

the frogspawns have opened for a day or two since i got them now nothing.

they are in the lower portion of the tank. not too much flow.

what is a barnicle. it appears that there is a like feather duster in the barnicle. something coming in and out.

Snaz
11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
i have a 32 gallon tank.
1 have 2 - 65 watts power compact fixtures for lighting.

and then some of the moon glow lights.

i was told that this lighting was the best for that tank.

the frogspawns have opened for a day or two since i got them now nothing.

they are in the lower portion of the tank. not too much flow.

what is a barnicle. it appears that there is a like feather duster in the barnicle. something coming in and out.

Sound fine, I have small piece of FS with less light than you so I doubt that is the issue unless your bulbs are old. They don't like a lot of flow so sounds like you have placed it well.

Test your water of course, when in doubt do a 10% water change. Are there other LPS corals in the tank? How are they doing?

My FS is a little sensitive and will close up or start to emit mucous if it gets bothered. Strangley two Sexy shrimp have started to take up permanent residence on my FS and it has never looked better.

silverplanet
11-02-2008, 10:56 PM
sometimes frogspawn just need a week or so before they get used to your tank. if there new to your tank then i suspect that is the problem.

Jason

fishguy007
11-03-2008, 05:01 AM
been in the tank for about threee weeks now. i did have to medicate though. will that casue it to be stressed for weeks?

what is a barnicle? someone mentioned that the volcano looking thing is a barnicle.

tlo
11-03-2008, 05:11 AM
What is your SG, PH, alk, ca, nitrate, ammonia readings?

a barnacle is nothing to worry about, just a filter feeding hitch hiker.

silverplanet
11-03-2008, 11:24 AM
what do you mean by medicate?

Jason

fishguy007
11-03-2008, 05:41 PM
the readings are all within the parameters.

i used KORDON's RID ICK. to treat the ick.

Snaz
11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
the readings are all within the parameters.

i used KORDON's RID ICK. to treat the ick.

No matter what the bottle says you should never treat fish in the presence of invertebrates. So I would advise do a large water change and add carbon to your filters to remove the Kordons, hopefully your corals will recover.

silverplanet
11-03-2008, 08:51 PM
after reading about the KORDON's RID ICK i think that is the problem and your frogspawn may not survive.fish should be mediacted in a quarantine tank. this was taken from there website.

"Rid·Ich+ is not recommended for use in aquariums containing invertebrates and may cause severe stress or death to some of these animals. If Rid·Ich+ must be used in aquariums containing invertebrates, tests should be performed to determine a particular animal's tolerance to this medication."

Jason