PDA

View Full Version : Damsel catching

Jack
04-28-2003, 02:24 AM
Some idoit went and put a Blue Devil damsel in my reef, heh. :rolleyes:

Any experience on catching these fish? Which methods are most likley to work... cause I tried talking to him into the net but that didn't work. :lol:

EmilyB
04-28-2003, 02:37 AM
Blow dart.... :lol:

Dresden
04-28-2003, 02:43 AM
2 nets, some coraling(cowboy style) into a corner then a quick wrist flick?

never tried to catch a damsel but yellow tail's time is coming

Aquattro
04-28-2003, 02:56 AM
Only feed the tank from the net, and eventually it will be brave or hungry enough to go into the net....maybe. The other method is to drian the tank. Or, you could leave it in there.

StirCrazy
04-28-2003, 03:49 AM
you need to remove the rock and then use 2 nets, unless you get lucky with one of the other methods.. I had to catch two of them from my bottom tank this way..

the net trick never worked for me.. they were to smart for that.

Steve

Beverly
04-28-2003, 03:56 AM
Any experience on catching these fish? Which methods are most likley to work... cause I tried talking to him into the net but that didn't work. :lol:

Yes, you can use a net to catch your damsel, but you'll have to dismantle your reef to do it. Just have the water and the fish inthe tank, and the net'll catch it every time.

ranz
04-28-2003, 06:45 AM
One fish trap+many hours+many cups of coffee = hair loss

Im so sorry.

MitchM
04-28-2003, 12:33 PM
I've had great success with glass jars. set up a few rocks around the mouth of the jar, laying it on it's side, and the fish will run in the "hole in the rocks" thinking it's another hiding place.

Mitch

TANGOMAN
04-28-2003, 04:23 PM
I like the glass jar concept. Tearing a tank down is so labor intensive, not to mention stressful for the other inhabitants.
I've had success in the past with a home-made "fishtrap". I used a plastic 1/2 litre bottle with a wide mouth opening. Using a series of rubber-bands and pivot points I was able to bait the trap and a "little door" would close the opening. Now that I think about it, I had way too much time on my hands when I made that one. I caught something every night. Everything but the "stupid" lobster that the trap was intended for... :rolleyes:
Drop by if ya' wanna' borrow it...

Nullig
04-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Ours always falls for the "clear plastic bag with brine shrimp in it" trick. Catch him every time.

Noel

eposer
04-28-2003, 08:45 PM
I second the plastic bag/bait trick. It is by far the best way to catch a sneaky little fish like that. :evil:

Evan.