PDA

View Full Version : duck bill limpet (elephant slug)

tgoeujon
10-31-2008, 06:11 AM
it was an impulse buy about a year ago, been living in my qt tank since. cant find much info and was just curious if anyone knows if it is reef safe as far as sps corals are concerned. its really neat looking but im worried i wont be able to catch him if hes a problem. as always any input would be appreciated.

Keri
10-31-2008, 06:41 AM
http://www.seaslugforum.net/factsheet.cfm?base=scutus

"Many fissurellids are sponge feeders, but the general consensus is that Scutus is an algal grazer"

I suppose you could give it a try - it's not like it's a fast mover ;) (You'd probably have to catch him out at night tho)

What about testing him out with an sps you're not too attached to, put it in his tank to see if he eats it?

edit: there are more threads on them on that page if you check the bottom :) hth

RobynR
10-31-2008, 04:40 PM
We have one of those... s/he now lives in our sump, ours has a real love of pagoda cup corals and cloves, in addition to sponges and algae. We've had it for about a year now though and its really cool other than the coral eating. It was not very easy to catch once it was into the rockwork, acutally took a few trys over a couple of days. It REALLY sticks to whatever it is crawling on. HTH