PDA

View Full Version : Help with ID please

rocketlily
10-30-2008, 01:54 AM
These little reddish things are growing on a rock. They are less that 1/4" high and like a little forest. They disappear in the rock when approached. Can anyone tell me what they might be. Sorry for the bad pic, but they are very, very tiny.

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/3004/what_is_this.jpg

Chowder
10-30-2008, 02:08 AM
They possibly could be Hydroids. If they are they are a pest and not good.

Marlin65
10-30-2008, 02:20 AM
They possibly could be Hydroids. If they are they are a pest and not good.

That is what I thought as well but hard to tell from the picture.

rocketlily
10-30-2008, 02:26 AM
Looked up pictures on the internet of Hydroids and I think that is what they are. I've got them in a 10 gal tank. Any ideas of how to get rid of them or am I better off removing the zoanthids from the rock and getting rid of the rock?

Chowder
10-30-2008, 02:51 AM
You can try to chip the zoas off the rock and get rid of the rock.

JDigital
10-30-2008, 02:56 AM
Looked up pictures on the internet of Hydroids and I think that is what they are. I've got them in a 10 gal tank. Any ideas of how to get rid of them or am I better off removing the zoanthids from the rock and getting rid of the rock?

Are these in your contest tank?

rocketlily
10-30-2008, 03:11 AM
Yes, they are in the contest tank. Sorry I didn't put a value on them as I figured they were a free hitchhiker.:lol:

I just pulled the rock, doused it in Apitasia X and scrubbed it in with a toothbrush. The zoanthid is starting to open, the mushroom doesn't look so good but the little forest has not yet appeared.

I guess I'll wait and see what it looks like tomorrow.

Carmen
10-30-2008, 04:06 AM
Not that you would want a copperband in a 10G but mine ate all my hydroids!! Just an interesting tidbit of info I guess!:biggrin:

rocketlily
10-30-2008, 02:06 PM
Copperband is one of the first fish on my list when I'm ready for the 90 gal.

Leah
10-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Thought butterfly's need a pretty established tank? Iam waiting to add one in my new
95 but thought I'd wait till next summer, I was adding a golden though. Any body know?
________
YR-1 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Yamaha_YR-1)

Whatigot
10-30-2008, 03:12 PM
luck of the draw with copperbands...
I had one that decimated my fanworm population and was doing fine, fat and healthy and was eating frozen only to drop dead all of a sudden for no apparent reasons that my tests or eyes could detect.

I would NEVER get one again, I did everything to keep it happy and no dice.
was really sad and felt like a terrible reefer.